Love Where You Work!
Team Bronson is compassionate, resilient and strong. We are driven by Positivity which inspire us to be our best and to go above and beyond for our patients, for one another, and for our community. If you’re ready for a rewarding new career, join Team Bronson and be part of the experience.
About the role
We are seeking a MICU Manager of Nursing to join our Bronson Battle Creek team! This individual should be skilled in verbal and written communication, leadership, and analyzing and interpreting data.
The MICU Manager of Nursing is responsible for supervising the activities of professional and ancillary personnel engaged in the provision of nursing care and managing the overall operation of an assigned nursing unit. Assignments are typically in the form of general results expected with considerable freedom to decide on procedures to be followed. Employees providing direct patient care must demonstrate competencies specific to the population served.
- Bachelor's degree in Nursing and 3-5 years of progressively more responsible clinical and supervisory nursing experience required.
- Master's degree in Nursing, MBA, or Master of Health Administration preferred
- Additional education/experience may be required depending on department.
- Current RN license in good standing in the state of Michigan BLS certification required.
- Must be able to operate and perform basic computer programs associated with record keeping in the department.
- Participates in nursing and organizational policy formulation and decision-making.
- Develops and administers procedures necessary to implement approved policies and provides the overall direction necessary to ensure efficient and effective services.
- Directs the preparation of departmental records as well as recurring and special reports and analyses, ensuring that they are complete, accurate and prepared on time. Reviews and interprets them in order to ascertain the extent to which departmental goals are being achieved: takes corrective action as necessary.
- Facilitates participation of staff in nursing and organizational policy formulation and decision-making.
- Ensures staff attendance at shared governance meetings.
- Works closely with unit councils facilitating implementation of decisions that improve patient outcomes, improve patient safety and support professional practice.
- Accepts organizational accountability for services provided to recipients.
- Evaluates the quality and appropriateness of care.
- Facilitates nurse and other staff member participation in interdisciplinary identification of desired client-centered outcomes.
- Regularly reviews the nursing care plans for patients to determine their * Effectiveness in meeting established goals for care and treatment * Adherence to hospital and unit policies and procedures, and * Conformance with established nursing standards * Ensures nursing care staff is working within their legal scope of practice. * Provides culturally competent resources and education for multi-cultural patient and families. • Initiates appropriate action to correct or enhance nursing care plan when necessary.
- Regularly reviews work in progress to ensure that all treatment, medications, and diagnostic tests ordered by physicians are promptly implemented and properly recorded, and the staff performance conforms to established standards and guidelines.
- Facilitates nurse participation in the monitoring and evaluation of nursing care in accordance with established professional, regulatory, and organizational standards of practice.
- Advocates on behalf of patient and family, ensuring fair and ethical treatment.
- Ensures staff follows documentation requirements.
- Provides guidance for and supervision of personnel accountable to the nurse manager.
- Directly assists personnel accountable to the nurse manager in execution of the most difficult and /or sensitive clinical duties and responsibilities, provides counsel and guidance in unusual but less complex situations: serves as a resource at all times.
- Coordinates nursing services with the services of other health care disciplines.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships with physicians, and other members of the healthcare team in order to coordinate and facilitate the delivery of optimal patient care.
- Participates in the recruitment, selection and retention of personnel.
- Hires, mentors-trains, develops, evaluates and (when necessary) disciplines and discharges personnel accountable to the nurse manager or makes authoritative recommendation in such matters.
- Promotes retention of personnel through recognition of positive performance.
- Assumes responsibility for staffing and scheduling personnel. Assignment reflects appropriate utilization of personnel.
- Assures appropriate orientation, educations, credentialing, and continuing professional development for personnel.
- Evaluates performance of personnel.
- Evaluates information obtained from (a) personal observations, (b) communications with staff, (c) rounds with medical and allied personnel, (d) communications with patients and family and (e) chart review to determine quality of care and the patients progress toward established outcomes.
- Investigates and resolves incidents and complaints/suggestions from physicians, patients, visitors, and staff: corrects deficiencies (if any) and prepares documentation or explanation when appropriate.
- Participates in planning and monitoring the budget for their defined areas.
- Participates in the development of short and long term goals for his/her unit, and plans to accomplish agreed upon goals.
- Develops, secures approval of and administers the budget which provides for the attainment of unit goals and in accordance with approved plans.
- Participates and involves the nursing staff in evaluative research activities
- Fosters a climate conducive to educational experiences for nursing and other students.
- Provides for the development and continuing education of unit staff by * Identifying educational needs, * Recommending the development of educational programs * Providing for staff participation in work-related seminars and in service programs, and * Encouraging staff development activities.
- Remains abreast of developments in appropriate clinical areas of nursing and management.
- Fosters peer review.
- Maintains a safe environment in accordance with nursing standards, hospital policies, and safety regulations.
- Ensures that unit supply inventory levels are maintained and monitors usage to determine the need for changes. Ensures the proper operation of unit equipment/secures the repair of unit equipment by initiating work order.
- Monitors the administration, documentation, and safekeeping of all controlled medications maintained on the unit.
- Responsible for unit compliance with standards and guidelines and promulgated by accrediting and regulatory agencies.