Youth Specialist I
- $41,953 - $53,542
- Full Benefits Package
- Under the supervision of the Berrien County Juvenile Center Director, provides for the safety, security and well-being for residents, visitors and staff within the detention facility.
- Supervises, guides, and counsels residents through daily activities within the framework of the residential and educational programs.
- Works closely and communicates effectively to ensure program effectiveness, staff accountability, professional personnel performance, problem solving matters and other issues affecting the Juvenile Center.
- Intervenes in crises when necessary, in accordance with policy and procedure guidelines for physical and mechanical restraints, room confinements, or other appropriate action.
- Operates and monitor electronic security and communication equipment including control panel, intercom, computers, visual monitors, electronic doors, room sound detectors and alarms.
- Monitors weather alert system.
- Schedule can vary depending on the needs of the program.
- This description is intended to illustrate the type and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this job. It may not be a comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities required by a person so classified.
Education and Experience:
- Thirty semester or forty-five quarter hours of college education which includes three semesters or four quarter hours of psychology and previous experience in social services or juvenile direct care.
- A combination of qualifying experience and training may be considered in lieu of the educational requirement.
- The Court reserves the right to make the final judgment about what constitutes an appropriate combination of education, experience and training by an applicant.
- Preference will be given to those with previous experience working with delinquent or emotionally troubled youth and/or families, which may have been in an intern or volunteer capacity.
- Must possess and maintain a valid vehicle operator's license throughout the course of employment.
- Must pass a pre-employment physical, drug test, and a criminal/civil record check as a condition of employment.
- Employee will be fingerprinted and subject to random drug and alcohol testing per the Court’s policy.
- Must have open availability to work any shift and work flexible hours including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays as required.