Marine Deputy - Seasonal
- $18.00/ Hour
- This part-time, temporary position allows for a maximum of 1,000 hours per calendar year. It does not include any benefits.
Note: All applications for the 2024 boating season must be received in the Berrien County Personnel Office or postmarked by February 14, 2024. Duties will begin the first week of May with patrols beginning the Memorial Day holiday and end with the Labor Day holiday. Hours are based on a 40-hour workweek and are weather dependent.
- Under the supervision of the Marine Lieutenant and/or Marine Sergeant, responsibilities include enforcement of the Marine Safety Act on Lake Michigan, inland lakes and rivers within Berrien County.
- Performs waterway patrols and safety checks, search and rescues and possible body recoveries.
- Issues citations and warnings and processes accidents.
- Deputies will be responsible for the proper maintenance of boats, engines, trailers and vehicles.
- Responsible for caring for all county issued gear and equipment.
- This description is intended to illustrate the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this job. It may not be a comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities required by a person so classified.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must be 18 years of age and out of high school at least one year prior to the start of the boating season.
- Must successfully pass a complete background check and swim test.
- Deputies will be required to work weekends with holidays mandatory.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
- Able to work well with others, with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Prior boating knowledge and a mechanical aptitude are desired.