Deputy, Jail Division
- $51,123/ Year
- Full Benefits Package
- Performs the correctional functions at the county jail and various courts in the county.
- Transports inmates as needed.
- Provides care, custody and control of the inmate population of the county. This includes all aspects of corrections, from the initial receiving procedure through the release of the inmate.
- Conducts security rounds, safety checks, inspections and searches of the inmates and their areas. This includes touching and feeling to detect weapons, contraband, and other items.
- Conducts criminal and civil investigations.
- Loads, unloads, aims and effectively fires handguns, shotguns and other agency firearms.
- Communicates via law enforcement radio channels.
- This description is intended to illustrate the type and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this job. It may not be a comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities required by a person so classified.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Applicant must be a citizen of the United States and at least 18 years of age.
- Must have a valid Michigan driver’s license.
- Must pass a pre-employment physical, including a drug screen, as a condition of employment.
- Subject to background check and fingerprinting.
- May not have any felony convictions.
- Candidates will be required to meet all of the minimum standards established by the Michigan Sheriff’s Coordinating and Training Council within the first 12 months of employment. Please visit www.misctc.org/standards.html for Minimum Hiring Standards.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
- Ability to exercise independent judgment within legal guidelines and to provide the secure, effective, efficient and safe operation of the jail and related functions. This includes determining reasonable suspicions to act or detain, and the probable cause to search, arrest or act as a corrections/law enforcement officer.
- Reasonable work experience or demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment, proven dependability, and appropriate level of maturity to manage inmates and emotionally stressful situations effectively.