Animal Control Officer
- $18.00/ Hour
- This is a temporary, part-time position working a maximum of 1,000 hours per calendar year. There are no benefits.
- Enforces state and local laws/ordinances concerning animal control.
- Patrols the county and issues citations when necessary.
- Responds to animal-related concerns from citizens.
- Performs necessary recordkeeping work.
- This description is intended to illustrate the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this job. It may not be a comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities required by a person so classified.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED.
- One year of previous experience in the care or custody of animals.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must possess and maintain a valid vehicle operator’s license and concealed pistol license throughout the tenure of employment.
- Must be certified as an Animal Control Officer by the State of Michigan within 90 days of employment and deputized by the County Sheriff.
- Must be certified in CPR and First Aid.
- Completion of Berrien County Reserve Academy within one year of date of hire if the class is offered.
Special Employment Conditions:
- An employee in this classification will be called upon to perform tasks that require the ability to lift, carry or drag at least 80 pounds.
- Duties will require the employee to bend, stoop, climb and crawl.
- Employees in this classification work in all weather conditions.
- May be called upon to defuse potentially emotional or volatile situations.
- Must be able to interact with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Employees in this classification may be subject to call in after normal hours, including weekends and holidays, and may be required to carry a pager.
- Demonstrated skill in the use of firearms, including handguns and shotguns.
- Demonstrated skill in the use of pepper spray or related items.
- Knowledge of roads and principal locations within Berrien County.
- Ability to defuse potentially emotional and volatile situations; skill in dealing with people of diverse backgrounds.