Department: Dining Services
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or .
Job Description Summary
Responsible for the proper preparation and production coordination of all hot and cold menu items as assigned by supervisor.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Meet daily production and serving schedules with respect to cafeteria lines, retail operations, special luncheons, buffets, and banquets.
2. Requisition from stores clerk, and/or personally retrieve from storage as needed, foodstuffs and supplies to meet daily production and preparation schedules.
3. Operate all equipment used in preparation and production of menu items assigned to his/her area employing proper safety procedures.
4. Advise other departmental employees on portion size, food items, ingredients, preparation methods, presentation, garnish, and quality control issues to ensure that recipes are followed to meet production demands and quality standards.
5. Provide information to customers as requested.
6. Maintain a clean, sanitary, and safe work area.
7. Responsible for garbage removal and cardboard recycling in assigned area.
8. Conduct daily, weekly, or monthly physical inventories in designated areas as assigned by supervisor.
9. Assist in the training and instruction of new employees, both regular and student assigned to food production, as needed.
10. Participate in any training necessary to accommodate changes in operation which directly affects regular assigned duties.
11. Adhere to current uniform policies.
12. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives.
13. Integrate safety practices into daily activities.
14. Functional supervision is exercised over student assistants and other personnel as assigned.
Required Education, Certifications, Licensures (minimum requirements)
* High school diploma and culinary training, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
* Three years experience working in a commercial, institutional, restaurant or hotel kitchen, or a similar food service operation as a skilled cook or equivalent position.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
* Demonstrated ability to perform as a skilled cook in processes such as baking, roasting, frying, grilling, braising, boiling, simmering and stewing.
* Demonstrated knowledge of cooking time, correct temperature, weight loss, portion control, and production standards in the cook's department.
* Demonstrated ability to read and interpret recipes relative to quantity, consistency, and composition of all menu items assigned to the department.
* Demonstrated knowledge of all food service equipment operation.
* Knowledge of sanitation standards required in the preservation of cooked and uncooked items and the prevention of food contamination.
* Demonstrated ability to give and follow instructions.
* Demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with people in varying situations and in all areas when assigned.
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
* Ability to obtain a food safety certification within six months of employment
* Possess valid driver's license and meet Michigan Techs vehicle use requirements
* Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
Demonstrated success in, or potential future contributions to, working with persons from diverse backgrounds, creating a sense of belonging, and fostering a fair, objective, welcoming place to work for persons with a wide variety of personal characteristics and viewpoints. **
Language, Mathematics and/or Reasoning Skills
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to complete routine reports. Ability to effectively present information in one on one or small group situations to faculty, students, and employees.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret a variety of technical instructions. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems in standardized situations.
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; talk or hear; use hands to finger,... For full info follow application link.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.