At AAM, the POWER is in our people. We believe that an equitable and inclusive workplace benefits everyone and that the diversity of our Associates drives creativity and innovation. Our global team of associates is made of dreamers, doers and innovators who are Bringing the Future Faster by Delivering POWER for a safer, brighter and more sustainable tomorrow.
As a member of #TeamAAM, you'll get to make a difference on day one. You'll have the opportunity to grow, embrace challenges, build your skills and bring your authentic self to work every day, all while helping to shape the future of mobility for AAM...and the world.
Job Posting TitleLead Systems Engineer - Thermal
Job Description SummaryAmerican Axle & Manufacturing has openings for Lead Systems Engineer - Thermal at its ATDC facility in Detroit, Michigan.
Job duties include:
1. Review and assess customer specifications impacting thermal management system (TMS) including heat exchanger, pump, and fluid delivery system.
2. Lead design development of TMS architecture for eAxles by defining component requirements and system design, including filters, pumps, fluid passages, orifice sizing, heat exchangers, and consideration of fluids.
3. Optimize TMS design by conducting simulation model iterations with MATLAB Simulink.
4. Define, and gain cross-functional team approval for component designs, including cost, feasibility, tolerances, GD&T, and component and system stacks.
5. Direct CAD designers to develop design, including 3D models and 2D drawings, and check and approve models and drawings for release.
6. Own the TMS BOM and oversee part procurement and manufacturing in the prototype phase.
7. Direct creation of TMS DFMEA by providing potential failures and recommended actions and ensure that tests and specifications identified by DFMEA are implemented in DVP&R and in the design.
8. Direct creation of DVP&R items for TMS and assess DVP&R results per customer requirements.
9. Support system and sub system, including inverter, eMachine, cooling pump, and fluid channels, validation activities, such as characterization, calibration, and defining limit samples.
10. Perform design review based on test results, decide on changes to design, and provide final sign-off for design release.
11. Present thermal management system design, risks, feasibility studies, performance against customer and internal requirements, and simulation and test results to management.
Required Skills and Education
Position requires: Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering, or foreign equivalent education, and 5 years post baccalaureate progressive experience working in the Automotive Electrification Industry in the position of Senior Engineer, Product Engineer, Associate Product Engineer, Design Engineer, Associate Design Engineer, or other Engineering positions. 5 years' experience is required in each of the following:
1. Translating customer requirements into sub-system and component specifications for thermal management components including heat exchanger, pump, and fluid delivery system.
2. Running thermal management simulations to verify and optimize system design parameters.
3. Releasing components of the design by defining dimensions and tolerances, GD&T, performing dimensional stacks, and checking and signing off on CAD models and drawings.
4. Lead contributor of failure mode content of DFMEA for TMS.
5. Directing TMS DVP&R ensuring that tests and specifications identified by DFMEA and customer requirements are validated.
6. Leading TMS cost reduction initiatives with cross-functional team.
Experience may be obtained concurrently.
About American Axle & Manufacturing
As a leading global Tier 1 Automotive and Mobility Supplier, AAM (NYSE: AXL) designs, engineers and manufactures Driveline and Metal Forming technologies to support electric, hybrid and internal combustion vehicles. Headquartered in Detroit with over 80 facilities in 18 countries, AAM is bringing the future faster for a safer and more sustainable future. We work together to support our customers on global and regional platforms with a focus on quality, operational excellence and technology leadership.
With our global footprint, we are committed to building an equitable and inclusive culture that encourages, supports and celebrates the unique voices of our diverse workforce. Be part of the future with #TeamAAM.
For the Disabled Job Seeker: We offer reasonable accommodations for qualified disabled individuals who are applicants for employment. To request assistance or accommodations, please e-mail TalentAcquisition@aam.com . AAM is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Unsolicited Resumes from Third-Party Recruiters
Please note that as per AAM policy, we do not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters unless such recruiters were engaged to provide candidates for a specified opening. Any employment agency, person or entity that submits an unsolicited resume does so with the understanding that AAM will have the right to hire that applicant at its discretion without any fee owed to the submitting employment agency, person or entity.
AAM will not discriminate against any Associate or applicant for employment because of age, race, color, gender, religion, weight, height, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic history or information, gender identity or expression, disability, protected veteran status, national origin, or other characteristic protected by law. AAM will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed, and that Associates are treated equally during employment, without regard to their age, race, color, gender, religion, weight, height, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic history or information, gender identity or expression, disability, protected veteran status, national origin, or other characteristic protected by law.