Departments: Applied Computing and Manufacturing & Mechanical Engineering Technology
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or .
Job Description Summary
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced individual to join our academic team as a Faculty Member in Mechatronics. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in mechatronics, a passion for teaching, and a commitment to fostering the growth and development of students in this field. As a faculty member, you will be key in educating and inspiring the next generation of mechatronics professionals while contributing to research and curriculum development in this dynamic field. The successful applicant will demonstrate appropriate technical expertise and industrial experience to teach mechatronics-related courses and develop a research program in the Applied Computing (AC) and Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering Technology (MMET) Departments. Courses may include Mechanical Engineering Technology (MET) and Electrical Engineering Technology (EET) undergraduate courses, but the emphasis will be on graduate courses for the MS in Mechatronics. Candidates will have an active research agenda related to industrial control and automation, including programmable logic controllers (PLCs), control system integration, instrumentation, PID and advanced process control, motor drives, machine control, process sensors, supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA), digital twins, Industrial Ethernet, Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT), and/or industrial cybersecurity. Applicants with the required education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, and accomplishments commensurate with a higher rank will also be considered for an appointment at the rank of associate or full professor.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
* Develop and deliver high-quality lectures and laboratory sessions in mechatronics at undergraduate and graduate levels, covering topics in electro-mechanical systems such as robotics, automation, and control systems.
* Provide guidance, mentorship, and support to students in their academic and research endeavors.
* Be proactive in developing new courses related to emerging industry needs.
* Engage in research activities related to mechatronics and contribute to the development of new knowledge and technologies.
* Publish research findings in reputable academic journals and present at conferences.
* Seek external funding opportunities and grants to support research projects.
* Collaborate with colleagues to design, update, and improve the mechatronics curriculum to ensure its alignment with industry standards and emerging technologies.
* Integrate innovative teaching methods into the curriculum, including online resources and hands-on experiences.
* Provide academic and career advising to undergraduate and graduate students interested in mechatronics, assisting them in setting and achieving their educational and professional goals.
* Support student projects, research initiatives, and extracurricular activities related to mechatronics.
Service and Engagement:
* Participate in departmental meetings, committees, and academic events.
* Participate in program assessment activities related to accreditation.
* Contribute to advancing the department and institution through involvement in administrative and service-related tasks.
* Collaborate with industry partners and maintain strong connections with the mechatronics community.
Required Education, Certifications, Licensures (minimum requirements)
Doctorate in Mechatronics, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Electrical Engineering Technology, or a closely related engineering or engineering technology field from an accredited institution.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
1. Minimum of 2 years relevant engineering experience in an industrial, government, or academic research setting.
2. Evidence of effective teaching at the postsecondary level, which may be extensive experience as a teaching assistant.
3. Evidence of strong oral and written communication, computer, and oral presentation skills.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
1. Extensive college/university teaching experience in mechatronics, mechanical and/or electrical areas.
2. Ability to teach MET undergraduate courses and laboratories such as statics and dynamics, applied quality techniques, Industrial simulation, and applied fluid power.
3. Ability to teach EET undergraduate courses and laboratories such as Data Communication, Industrial Controls, and Controls Systems Integrations.
4. Ability to teach MET graduate courses in the following areas: electrohydraulic components & systems, dynamics and kinematics for robotic systems, industry 4.0 concepts, and key factors of holistic safety programs.
5. Ability to teach EET graduate courses in the following areas: Programmable Logic Controllers and Mechatronics Systems.
6. Extensive relevant engineering experience beyond two years.
7. Certifications in SACA smart automation, Six Sigma, or others.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities... For full info follow application link.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.