Department: Facilities Management
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or .
Job Description Summary
Responsible for the performance of routine and special custodial duties in facilities and grounds as assigned. Work is performed in accordance with instructions and schedules provided, with results regularly inspected. Provide excellent customer service to a wide variety of internal and external customers.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Sweep, mop, clean, vacuum, wax and buff various types of floor surfaces .
2. Clean and maintain all meeting and conference rooms, hallways, lobbies, lounges, rest rooms, offices, labs, stairwells and other public and work areas.
3. Clean washroom floors, walls and fixtures sanitize as necessary. Replenish washroom soap, paper, and vending products.
4. Maintain a clean, sanitary, and safe work area and ensure a safe environment throughout the facility. Remove garbage, paper and recycling.
5. Clean all types of wall and ceiling surfaces.
6. Use and maintain a variety of cleaning and maintenance machines, ladders, tools and equipment.
7. Wash windows, clean furniture, dust windowsills and ledges and clean fixtures, change light bulbs in various fixtures inside and out of building.
8. Maintain building entrances according to conditions by removing snow and ice, applying sand and salt, and removing debris.
9. Adhere to current uniform policy.
10. Be responsible for minor wall and ceiling repair including spackling, sanding and painting.
11. Participate in any training necessary to accommodate changes in operation which directly affects regular assigned duties.
12. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives.
13. Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work.
14. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Functional supervision may be exercised over seasonal/temporary university employees and student assistants.
Required Education, Certifications, Licensures (minimum requirements)
* High school diploma, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
* One year experience with primary duties as a custodian, or an equivalent combination of experience to equal one year full time.
* One year experience maintaining a variety of floor surfaces using auto-scrubbers, burnishers, buffers, carpet extraction vacuums, and other commercial cleaning equipment.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
* Excellent communication, customer service and interpersonal skills.
* Demonstrated ability to use basic internet and web-based applications.
* Demonstrated ability to follow instructions and perform work with minimum supervision.
* Demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with clients, students and staff in varying situations and in all areas when assigned.
* Demonstrated ability to maintain a clean and safe facility.
* Demonstrated ability to perform general maintenance tasks, including changing lights, bulbs. The use of ladders will be required to perform some of these tasks.
* Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff .
* Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
Demonstrated success in, or potential future contributions to, working with persons from diverse backgrounds, creating a sense of belonging, and fostering a fair, objective, welcoming place to work for persons with a wide variety of personal characteristics and viewpoints. **
Language, Mathematics and/or Reasoning Skills
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk; talk or hear; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, climb extension ladders, and step ladders.
Ability to shovel, move, and/or scrape snow and ice from exterior entrances, steps, patio's, porches, and fire escapes.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, peripheral and color vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may frequently be exposed... For full info follow application link.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.