Department: AVPA Non-Residential Aux
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or .
Job Description Summary
Perform in areas of food service to include food preparation and production, including customer service, equipment operation, and cashier duties.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Direct the activities of student food service workers in assigned area.
2. Assist in the training and instructions of regular student employees in assigned area. Maintain records and prepare required reports in assigned area.
3. Order food, schedule students, maintain inventory, operate electronic cash register and card readers. Take money to accounting.
4. Responsible for cleaning, sanitation, and safety in assigned area.
5. Operate all equipment used in preparation and production of menu items employing safety procedures. Understand and interpret recipes.
6. Perform catering duties including set-up, serving, delivering, cleaning, table service, and all aspects of clean-up. Interact with customers in a friendly and courteous manner.
7. Maintain knowledge of portion size, food items, and ingredients of foods being served. Adhere to current uniform policy as posted.
8. Participate in any training necessary to accommodate changes in operation which directly affect regular assigned duties. Responsible for garbage removal and cardboard recycling in assigned areas.
9. Conduct daily, weekly, or monthly physical inventories in designated areas as assigned by supervisor.
10. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Functional supervision may be exercised over student assistants and other support staff.
Required Education, Certifications, Licensures (minimum requirements)
* High School diploma, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
* Experience working in a food service operation working with food production in a commercial, institutional, restaurant or hotel kitchen or similar food service operation.
* Experience serving customers.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
* Excellent communication, customer service and interpersonal skills.
* Demonstrated ability to learn and follow instructions.
* Possess a valid driver's license and meet Michigan Tech University's vehicle use requirements.
* Demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with people in varying situations and in all areas assigned.
* Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty and staff.
* Demonstrated ability to work evenings and weekends, and at times be called in to work with very short notice.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
Language, Mathematics and/or Reasoning Skills
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one situations to customers.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out basic written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems in standardized situations.
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk; talk and hear; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee is occasionally required to sit, and climb or balance.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color, and peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee works near moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; work in high, precarious places, is exposed to fumes or airborne particles, and extreme heat and cold.
The noise level in the work environment is moderate to very loud.
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee... For full info follow application link.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.