About Our Organization:
VDL Steelweld is part of the VDL Groep which is a Netherlands based, privately-owned company. VDL Groep has a wide portfolio of technical products and supplies, which are developed and manufactured by one of the 101 companies with a total of 16,000 employees worldwide . VDL Steelweld designs, manufactures and installs automated production systems with a wide range of handling, assembly and bonding techniques for industrial applications, with a high focus on automotive Body in White (BIW). VDL Steelweld is active in the development, prototype construction and production of mechatronic systems and modules, e.g. for applications in automotive, process industry and heating/cooling.
Purpose: The Business Development Manager is responsible for all activities for the VDL Steelweld offices throughout the US and reports to the General Manager of VDL Steelweld USA, headquartered in Detroit, Michigan. The Business Development Manager of the US works in close contact with VDL Steelweld HQ in the Netherlands regarding sales, global sourcing and project execution.
Education: Bachelor degree required / Master degree preferred, in business, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering or in a closely related field.
- Minimum of 10 years work experience in the automotive industry (BIW robotic lines) or passenger/commercial vehicle industry.
- Experience with a European headquarters.
- Comprehensive understanding of business and sales acumen.
- Proven, strong negotiator.
- Willing to travel regularly.
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- System and industrial application integration.
- Automation relating to mass production.
- Current and future trends in manufacturing processes with the ability to apply them.
- Influence customers to co-create hi-tech, creative and reliable solutions to new and existing production systems.
- Actively listen, understand and value the intent of prospects as well as customers.
- Analytical problem-solver.
- Maximize customer satisfaction.
Essential Job Duties:
- Supervising the key, global OEM automotive accounts ensuring the satisfaction of the international customer network while professionally developing and strengthening our existing and new business relationships.
- Developing new local customers in the Americas with the opportunity for joint-ventures in the automotive business, general industry and mass production.
- Defining the Strategic Sales vision and plan together with the General Manager.
- Capable of inspiring, using a pragmatic approach; a decision-maker.
- Customer-oriented and cost-conscious entrepreneur.
- Exhibit compliance and integrity in all business dealings.
- Discover and report issues; define solutions.
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Travel: Frequent domestic and North American travel is required.