Why work for the Federal Bureau of Prisons?
You can have a meaningful career with an agency that truly values a diverse workforce. You will find a diverse workforce employed from entry level jobs to senior management positions. We protect public safety by ensuring federal offenders serve their sentences of imprisonment in facilities that are safe, humane, and provide reentry programming. Employees at correctional facilities perform correctional work regardless of their specific occupation.
Learn more about this agency
The incumbent serves as Computer Specialist on the administrative staff at a Bureau of Prisons' (BOP) federal correctional facility. The mission of this position is to ensure the secure, productive, and effective use of personal computers and information security in the institution.
Along with all other correctional institution employees, incumbent is charged with responsibility for maintaining security of the institution. The staff correctional responsibilities precede all others required by this position and are performed on a regular and recurring basis.
Occasional travel - Travel may be required for training.
2210 Information Technology Management
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship is Required.
- See Special Conditions of Employment Section.
The Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provides eligible surplus and displaced competitive service employees in the Department of Justice with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. If your Department of Justice component has notified you in writing that you are a surplus or displaced employee eligible for CTAP eligibility, you may receive selection priority if: 1) this vacancy is within your CTAP eligibility; 2) you apply under the instructions in this announcement; and 3) you are found well qualified for this vacancy. To be well qualified, you must satisfy all qualification requirements for the vacant position and score 85 or better on established ranking criteria. You must provide a copy of your written notification of CTAP eligibility with your application. Additional information about CTAP eligibility is at: Click Here
To be considered for the position, you must meet either the requirements specified in the section titled Education OR the requirements specified in the section titled Experience.
GL-09: Master's degree or equivalent graduate degree OR two (2) full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master’s degree or equivalent graduate degree
GS-11: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree OR three (3) full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree
Undergraduate and Graduate Education:Major study - -Degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
NOTE: ALLapplicants MUST submit legible transcripts as verification of educational requirement. Transcripts must include identifying information to include School Name, Student Name, Degree and Date Awarded (if applicable). All academic degrees and coursework must be completed at a college or university that has obtained accreditation or pre-accreditation status from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools that meet this criteria, Click Here. Transcripts MUST be received by the Consolidated Staffing Unit by the closing date of the vacancy announcement. (If you are selected for this position, you will be required to provide an OFFICIAL transcript prior to your first day on duty.)
For information regarding foreign education requirements, please see the Recognition of Foreign Qualifications at the U.S. Department of Education website: Recognition of Foreign Qualifications
You must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below:
GL-9 and GS-11:
- Attention to detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
Applicants qualifying based upon completion of IT certification must provide proof of completion of the program by the closing date of the vacancy announcement.
In addition to the Basic Requirements, applicants must also have the following:
GL-9 and GS-11:
You must have one year of specialized experience at the next lower GS-grade (or equivalent). Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/ qualifications to successfully perform the duties of the position and is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Such experience is typically gained in the IT field or through the performance of work where the primary concern is IT.
Some examples of this qualifying experience are:
- Experience identifying and resolving issues and problems.
- Experience implementing and supporting IT security applications.
- Experience evaluating established methods and procedures and preparing recommendations for changes in methods and practices where appropriate.
- Experience assisting in development, configuration, installation and maintenance of networked systems.
- Experience recovering data in the event of hardware of software failure.
- Experience providing basic and advanced hardware and software technical support to users of personal computers and associated equipment. Support is primarily on PC hardware configurations, DOS, Windows 95