SPECTRUM COMMUNITY SERVICES, an affiliate of Spectrum Human Services
Providing a Spectrum of Quality Services and Life Enhancing Opportunities for Individuals in the Community
Now Hiring Direct Support Professionals
Regular starting rate of $15.00 to $15.50 per hour. Plus an additional $2.00 per hour COVID premium pay incentive (funded separately from Network180 therefore paid out separately.)
What does a Direct Support Professional (DSP) do?
- Many individuals who have intellectual and developmental disabilities (I/DD) require assistance with everyday tasks and DSPs are the people who support them in these activities.
- This is more than just "a job"; our DSPs are directly impacting the lives of people in our community!
DSPs provide support for many aspects of life for people with I/DD such as:
- Assisting with daily living; including personal care, feeding, cooking, and cleaning.
- Keeping individuals safe from hazards.
- Administering medication.
- Accompanying individuals to and from appointments and activities.
- Helping an individual volunteer, get a job, or see friends in the community.
DSPs need to be able to keep calm and composed in difficult situations:
- Individuals with I/DD can’t always express themselves in ways that are easy to understand. It’s important to be able to remain calm and think through solutions, even in the stressful moments.
DSPs need to be dependability and punctual:
- Being on-time is important for coworkers and for the individuals we support. For the majority of us, a routine is key to less stress and anxiety and staying balanced.
DSPs need to have interpersonal skills and a strong sense of teamwork:
- Providing support for another person, sometimes around the clock, is a team-oriented task that requires a lot of coordination and flexibility.
All staff receive paid professional training through our agency and our local CMHA Network180:
- Whether you’re a seasoned DSP or brand new to the field, you will receive the support and training you need to feel comfortable and prepared for the job. You will receive CPR and First Aid certification. You will learn how to support individuals to the best of your ability while providing a person-centered approach.
Multiple open positions available throughout Kent County. We have both Full-time and Part-time 2nd and 3rd shift positions available, very limited Part-time 1st shift positions currently available.
This could be a great opportunity to gain experience in the field of Social Work, Psychology, and Human Services.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Possess a valid unrestricted Michigan Driver's license (or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of hire)
- Three references deemed acceptable to Spectrum
- Available to work weekends is required (one weekend shift each weekend or two weekend shifts every other weekend)
- Selected candidates must successfully complete a comprehensive background check including fingerprinting, medical clearance (TB test, drug screen & physical), MVR clearance, MDHHS clearance, CMHA and State of MI clearance.
It is the policy of Spectrum Human Services to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, genetic information, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Spectrum will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.