Positions Location: Lansing, MI
General Purpose of Job:
To provide enhanced customer service to our patients by providing balance information. Motivating our customers to pay self-pay balances while promoting patient satisfaction
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Caregivers may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- Responds to patient inquiries received by telephone, written correspondence, and in person regarding (SBO) Sparrow, St. Lawrence, Ionia, Clinton and Laboratory accounts. Researches balances, refunds, payments, and adjustments as requested.
- Updates demographic and insurance information to drop claims with corrected information received through STAR Workstation, EPIC, and SOFT AR. Completes adjustment transactions as necessary.
- Establishes payment plans according to Hospital Policy. Mails itemized statements to patients upon request. Researches and screens both clinical and billing disputes and tracks accounts to resolution. Accepts and cuts checks for patients through IPayX computerized program.
- Completes limited insurance verification in available electronic insurance verification systems.
- Assists patients with application process for Medicaid, Charity Care, Crime Victims and Auto Assigned Claims.
- Completes weekly statistical reports regarding call volumes and trends through Excel computer program to Supervision.
- Assists with training of new associates as necessary.
||One (1) year experience insurance, admitting, billing or collections in a healthcare setting. Hospital and/or professional billing experience preferred
||High school diploma or completion of GED requirements.
|Specialized Knowledge and Skills
||Ability to explain billing and motivate patients to pay self-pay balances while promoting patient satisfaction. Occasional contact with disturbed and/or argumentative patients and families. Demonstrates ability to use a keyboard as may be required to perform the essential duties of the job. Good written and verbal communication skills. Strong interpersonal skills. Must possess strong analytical thinking and customer service skills. Testing will be used to identify strongest candidates.
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.