Under the leadership of the Economic Development & Planning Department, the Building Inspector will be part of a team in spearheading building inspections assuring they meet provisions of building, grading, zoning and safety laws and approved plans, specifications, and standards. This is a great opportunity for those seeking to use their knowledge of building and zoning codes; as well as, laws pertaining to construction research, investigation, and enforcement.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS & TRAINING:
Must meet minimum eligibility requirements in accordance with State Act #407 for registration as a Building Inspector and Plan Reviewer and make application for provisional registration for both these titles within thirty (30) days of notification of selection for this position.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- High School Diploma or GED and six (6) years of experience in general building construction as a contractor, skilled worker, a person in charge of construction or a combination thereof
- Or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Registration as a Building Inspector, Plan Reviewer and/or prior building inspection experience preferred.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license.
PHYSICAL CAPACITY REQUIREMENTS:
This position requires the individual through assistance or on their own to walk, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, balance, handle, finger, talk, listen and visual acuity.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
- Inspects buildings during and after construction for grading, zoning, and safety laws and approved plans, specifications, and standards.
- Observes conditions and issues notices for corrections to persons responsible for conformance.
- Interprets legal requirements and recommends compliance procedures to contractors and owners.
- Maintains inspection records and prepares reports for use by administrative or judicial authorities.
- Provides interpretation and enforcement of the Building Code and Barrier Free Design Requirements.
- Prepares reports, collects data and recommends structural code amendments.
- Responds to inquiries and resolves complaints from contractors, owners and the public.
- Conducts special inspections for special use permits, and residential and non-residential Safety Inspections.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.