Our growing company is seeking to hire prototype professionals strong in Metal Finishing (fabby) for our Advanced Engineering Center.
1st and 2nd Shift Positions are available. 2nd shift comes with a 2nd shift premium!
As a PTM Team Member, you will qualify, hammer form, punch, sand, grind metal parts to achieve finish ready for shipping, or for utilization within welded assemblies, as required by the customer. We consider metal finishing an art form and compensate accordingly.
The prototype metal finisher helps fabricate prototype stamping and automotive build and welded assembly of metal products, such as framework or shells for machinery, ovens, tanks, metal component parts for automotive and consumer goods according to job order.
- Ideal candidate for the sheet metal model maker role will have 4 years related fabrication experience with preferred prototype stamping, automotive build and assembly. Proficient knowledge of working characteristics of metallic materials, machining, and layout techniques, as well as using handtools, power tools, machines, and equipment.
- Setup the work area for part handling and work positioning for ergonomic access to the part surfaces needed to be sanded and ground on
- Handle sheet metal components from the press or laser departments to the work station or fixture, perform the metal finishing work, qualify and check the finish quality of the work.
- Setup tables, fixtures, work supports as needed
- Check part quality by visual and touch inspection of the part to detect defects such as dents, scratches, or breaks in metal.
- Removes dents, weld welts, and may perform limited tack welding to accommodate finishing of previously welded joints.
- Setup and maintain air tools and other tools for the operation. This includes cleaning and oiling tools, appropriate storage.
- Perform basic cleaning of the work area every shift.
- Read prints, drawings, specifications and utilize sample parts for the operation
- Follow instructions given on procedures and receive feedback from process and final inspection on work quality
- Use tools such as Dual Action (DA) sander, grinder (4", 7", hard and soft backing pads), abrasive cut-off wheel, sheers, punches, wire brush (bench and hand), belt sander to perform sanding, grinding and cutting operations in compliance with drawings (prints) to complete the operation of metal finishing during the manufacture parts.
- Comply with company policies and safety procedures