Pay: $18.00 - $23.00/hour
As an Industrial Sewing Specialist, you will produce fabric pouches and bags used to organize, carry, and store hand tools. This role spans the entire scope of making these products, from measuring and cutting materials to final sewn assembly. You must be able to work consistently, accurately, and quickly while following established specifications and meeting quality standards.
There are three main facets to this job:
- Mark out, cut, assemble, and sew. You are in charge of the entire production process, beginning to end. This includes setting up the work area; cutting the fabric, webbing, and hook-and-loop pieces; and assembling and sewing the finished goods. Throughout the process, each piece must be inspected to verify that all finished goods meet specifications and are free of defects. As needed, you will make adjustments to machine settings, fixtures, and tooling to optimize output and performance. At all times you must keep the work area neat and orderly.
- Monitor and maintain equipment. You will know your machines well, down to the finest details. You will monitor and address the machine’s day-to-day performance while our Manufacturing Maintenance Specialist will handle routine and preventative maintenance. We will rely on you to keep equipment running at its best, as you ensure lubrication systems are properly filled and functioning, consumable materials are refilled, and simple wear parts are replaced as needed. When significant issues arise, you will work directly with our Manufacturing Maintenance Specialist to find the right solutions.
- Develop new products. Your broad abilities as a producer of current products will make you the right person to help create new designs. Working with our Product Development department, you will make the first prototypes. These early pieces are used for evaluating both the design and the manufacturing method. Using feedback from testing the prototypes and your knowledge of construction techniques, you will lead the optimization of a process that will make the best product in the most efficient ways.
Your first 30 days: You will become familiar with each piece of equipment and production process. To offer you the broadest perspective, this might mean working on processes outside of the scope of an Industrial Sewing Specialist. Your first 30 days are a provisional period to assess your skills and strengths and confirm your fit in the position and company.
Opportunities to grow: Tekton’s Manufacturing department is growing quickly, offering opportunities for our highest performers. There are two clear paths a skilled Specialist could pursue.
- Process Improvement: We push ourselves to find better, faster, and more consistent methods. Some of our best Specialists will not only perform the processes but seek to transform them. Moving into a role that is focused on process improvement could be a direction for those able to define a problem, envision possibilities, and implement a successful solution.
- Leadership: We need great leaders to guide decisions and help our employees grow. If, in addition to being a process expert with high personal standards, you also have the heart of a teacher who cares greatly about the success of our team, you could be an effective leader of those around you.
Values and skills: You must have exceptional values, including honesty, integrity, and empathy. You must have exceptional sewing abilities and advanced measuring, marking, and assembly skills. You must be comfortable and proficient in operating equipment like die cutting presses, thermal cutters, and sewing machines. The ability to accurately lay out work pieces according to plans and patterns using basic measuring instruments will be necessary.
Education and experience: Two or more years of industrial sewing is strongly preferred. A background in related processes such as embroidery, die cutting, RF welding, and binding could be helpful.
Physical requirements: You must have good hand and finger dexterity and coordination, be capable of working in a sitting or standing position for extended periods, and be able to repeatedly lift 20 - 45 pounds.
What it’s like in Tekton’s Manufacturing Center
- Surroundings: You will be working in a bright, clean Manufacturing Center around people, manufacturing machinery, and material handling equipment like pickers and forklifts.
- Noise Level: Noise levels vary depending on which machines are operating; however, it is typically not loud enough where hearing protection is required.
- Safety: Safety is important to us, and we take it seriously. We provide protective gear such as vests, gloves, eye protection, and floor mats.
- Temperature: Our Manufacturing Center has heating and air conditioning. Temperatures can vary between 60 - 80°F depending on the season.
- Dress code: Clothes should be comfortable to twist, lift, and bend in. Closed-toe shoes are required.
Location and hours: This is an hourly position located in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Full-time positions are available on first shift. Schedules are flexible. We are able to change employee start and end times or make special arrangements for scheduling conflicts.
Full-Time First Shift
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Weekly Hour Requirements
Required to work an average of 40 - 45 hours. Overtime may be required at times.