Job Type: Exempt
Starting Salary Range: $69000. - $82,800.
Serve as a lead accountant in the preparation of monthly BWL pension plan financial statements. Responsible for review and implementation of all new accounting standards and requirements. Serves as project lead on general accounting and property accounting initiatives. Prepare complex journal entries and perform review of journal entries prepared by other accountants. Serve as backup for key approvals in supervisor’s absence.
- Review all new accounting pronouncements and ensure BWL compliance with standards.
- Manage external BWL reporting requirements and ensure compliance.
- Lead monthly financial statement preparation process and ensure timely completion.
- Lead and coordinate preparation of annual audit workpapers and review as completed.
- Lead response and coordination with internal audit engagements.
- Initiate and contribute to departmental projects and process improvement initiatives.
- Verify financial data for additional reports and publications as requested and train others to obtain this information.
- Serve as supervisor’s delegate when requested for meetings and discussions.
- Develop and coordinate training for coworkers within and outside the department with questions and ad hoc needs as they arise.
- Expected to comply with all BWL policies and work rules.
- Predictable and reliable attendance.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Why Should You Apply?
- Competitive salary, employee development, and opportunity for professional growth.
- Robust time off benefits including vacation, free choice, sick leave, and paid holidays.
- Comprehensive benefits package including medical, prescription, dental, life insurance, long-term disability, and employee assistance program.
- Retirement programs including 401a (100% company paid up to 13% of base salary), 457 match up to $2,500 per year, retiree medical.
- Voluntary benefits including supplemental and dependent life insurance, vision, flexible spending, AFLAC options, LifeLock anti-theft, long term care, tuition reimbursement, HOPE loan.
The Board of Water & Light serves Lansing, Michigan, and surrounding areas with electricity, water, and steam. Lansing's city charter vests the BWL with full and exclusive management of water, steam, and electric services for or the city. The American Public Power Association has honored the Lansing Board of Water & Light as one of the country's best publicly owned utilities.
Lansing, MI provides the opportunity to enjoy all seasons of fun and beauty. With the Grand River open for kayaking, lush golf courses, 17+ miles of trails for biking/hiking/running, Potter Park Zoo, and the sports, the arts and fine foods that comes from being near a major University, Michigan State University, there is a spot for everyone. The area is a short drive from Lake Michigan’s shoreline where there is views of natural beauty, boating, fishing, and windsurfing.
THE BOARD OF WATER & LIGHT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER