To improve the educational experience of students with major emotional, behavioral, cognitive, or learning difficulties, through a program of eligibility determination, consultation, academic intervention, and coaching. Leads the multidisciplinary evaluation team, collects, analyzes and interprets data and participates in the special education identification process. Actively participates as a member of building support teams in order to assist with data, programs, assessments, interventions and problem-solving needs.
- Knowledge and experience in identifying students with disabilities.
- Knowledge of special education law.
- Experience in consultation strategies and working with community agencies.
- Experience in assessment, data collection, analysis, and interpretation.
- Experience in administering and interpreting a variety of assessments.
- Experience in developing academic and behavioral interventions.
- Background in learning and behavior management.
- Experience in leading problem solving teams through data based decision making.
- Experience with training and monitoring the implementation of a variety of research-based intervention programs.
- Ability to clearly express ideas and concepts verbally and in writing
- Conduct comprehensive evaluations for determining special education eligibility.
- Complete all evaluation reports in a timely manner consistent with the DSISD process and procedural mandates.
- Serve as a member of the Multidisciplinary Diagnostic Team, providing supportive assessment data and consultation to team members and case management as assigned by the supervisor.
- Prepare and interpret social or developmental histories and assessments and also obtain parent/guardian input for the assessment process.
- Utilize a variety of assessments to determine the need for special education services.
- Provide analysis and interpretation of information and data in oral and written reports. Interpret diagnostic findings to parents.
- Provide appropriate recipient parties with all written reports completed as a part of the referral/diagnostic process.
- Assist parents in the understanding of decisions, procedures, and other questions of concern affecting their children in the IEP/IFSP Team process.
- Participate in Individualized Educational Planning Team meetings, write and maintain specific measurable IEP/IFSP goals and objectives, and assist with the development of other IEP/IFSP goals and objectives.
- Provide Special Education administration with necessary information required for monitoring activities
- Regular, reliable attendance.
- Regular attendance at scheduled department/discipline meetings.
- Attend, upon request, weekly scheduled student staffing meetings.
- Complete and send home progress reports.
- Maintain ongoing contact with parents to assist them in the development of a realistic understanding of their child’s abilities, progress, and future goals.
- Provide recommendations for educational interventions to assist classroom personnel with student learning, achievement, and behavior.
- Create, review, analyze, and revise academic or behavioral implementation plans.
- Use data based decision making to lead a problem-solving model in dealing with student academic and behavioral concerns.
- Consult with principals, staff members, and parents/guardians to assist students in making academic progress.
- Ability to develop and maintain acceptable relationships with school staff.
- Required to travel and provide services throughout Delta and Schoolcraft counties to our local school districts and PSA.
- Adhere to the Michigan Code of Educational Ethics
- Complete timely service logs for all Medicaid eligible students on your caseload into the ISE system (if so assigned by the department administration).
- Maintain and submit monthly service/activity log.
- Maintain working files for caseload, including test protocol information.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director or Supervisor of Special Education.
- Develop and implement in-service training programs in areas of interests and expertise.
- Keep abreast of current research and innovative techniques through educational journals, workshops, conferences, and other professional readings and activities.
- Provide training on de-escalation and safe physical management of students to LEAs across Delta-Schoolcraft ISD.