We’re seeking someone who loves food (particularly baked goods!), with a cheerful disposition, experience as a team player and a good eye for merchandising. Western Market is a diverse, fast-paced work environment that challenges individuals seeking to grow into skilled, knowledgeable and passionate team members. We prefer someone with some direct pastry experience who understands the fundamentals of baking and is finely attuned to small details and quality. As we continue to transition our Bakery to feature natural products with wholesome ingredients, we’ll need someone who is supportive and eager to contribute to this process. Our new Bakery Program continues to grow its list of “from scratch” goodies and you’ll have the opportunity to engage in the creative process with our Executive Chef and Bakery Manager.
You’ll have to meet the following requirements in order to apply:
- Open availability, including weekends.
- Be available to work at least two shifts starting at 5A per week.
- Be available Sundays, without exception.
- Be available at least 38 hours per week.
- Have reliable transportation.
The Bakery Team Member is responsible for the preparation and merchandising of baked goods to highest standard of quality and consistency. The Bakery Team Member works under the direction of the Bakery Manager.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Preparation of in-house baked good items according to product specifications.
- Package, price and provide appropriate signage for bakery items as needed.
- Ensure products are stocked well and rotated.
- Maintain sanitary and organized kitchen production area, according to all governing codes, guidelines and regulations.
- Maintain orderly backstock/freezer area.
- Merchandise Bakery table, bread shelves and other bakery item displays throughout the store.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Working conditions include a fast-paced retail environment that involves long intervals of standing, crouching and reaching while moving product. Exposure to extreme cold (coolers and freezers) and heat (cooking equipment) for extended periods of time. Little to no outdoor work is required.
- Equipment used: proofer; oven; microwave; hot case; Hobart scale; knives; knife sharpener.
- Western Market Team Members enjoy a 20% discount on store purchases for their household (some restrictions apply). Full-time Team Members qualify for benefits after a 90-day introductory period.
Check out our website to learn more about Western Market: westernmkt.com!
While the above description encompasses the majority of the responsibilities required of the position, at any time the Management may request that an employee perform reasonable additional duties, which may be required for the safe and smooth operation of the store. Western Market expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Western Market’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.