The mechanisms driving premature onset of uterine contractions, causing preterm birth, are poorly understood. This project will focus on some novel pathways we have discovered to potentially be key in timing labor onset, and as such this project has a high translational potential. The project will involve a combined in vitro and in vivo approach, pharmacological screenings, muscle contraction studies, and receptor-interaction studies.
The Hoffmann lab part of the Department of Animal Science (https://www.canr.msu.edu/ans/) and the Reproductive and Developmental Science Program (RDSP, http://rdsp.canr.msu.edu/) at Michigan State University. The Department of Animal Science and RDSP offers an exciting and unique environment for performing state-of-the-art biomedical, animal and basic research with top scientists in the field. The Hoffmann lab research goals focus on discovering the mechanism regulating reproductive function and the timing of labor (https://www.canr.msu.edu/hoffmann/).
Specific Position Duties
- Perform and develop experiments using advanced biomedical research techniques
- Writing scientific publications
- Present results at national and international scientific meetings
- Get trained in writing grant applications to major funding agencies
- Supervising students
This position is initially for one year, renewable annually based on performance, for up to three years with a possibility of an extension based on the availability of funding. Salary will be based on NIH scale along with benefits according to the policies of Michigan State University.
Doctorate -Physiology, Endocrinology, Biochemistry
- PhD in relevant scientific area (Physiology, Endocrinology, Biochemistry Molecular and Cellular Biology or other)
- Ability to work independently as well as in a group
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- A strong work ethic and a commitment to significantly contribute to the advancement of the project
- Excellent skills in scientific writing
Proficiency in one or more of these fields: muscle contraction studies, uterine function, pregnancy, preterm labor, receptor signal-transduction and receptor interaction studies, molecular biology (PCR, qPCR, RNAseq, cloning), microscopy, mice (surgeries, behavioral studies), cell culture, circadian rhythms, calcium assays, pharmacological screening.
Required Application Materials
- Cover letter
- 1 page description of research experience as well as qualifications and interest in this position
- CV including prior positions, publications and technical expertise
- Contact information of three references who may be contacted
For more information about this position, please contact Dr. Hanne Hoffmann email@example.com
Review of Applications Begins On
Summary of Health Risks
work with animal tissues.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.