Position: Assistant Marching Band Director
Location: Ferndale High School
Reports to: Building Principal
Pay Rate: Per FEA Contract
Start Date: July 2017
This position involves assisting the Marching Band Director with all the logistics and organization of the Ferndale High School Marching Band. This position shall not only be responsible for the maintenance and development of a quality marching band program, but also the promotion of self-discipline, character, teamwork, leadership, citizenship, responsibility, integrity, and academic excellence.
- Past experience working with competitive marching bands is recommended, but not required, for consideration
- Demonstrated ability and experience with the instruction and supervision of high school students
- Bachelor's degree and certification preferred
- Punctuality and good attendance
- The Assistant Marching Band Director ensures that Ferndale High School is well-represented at all competitions and football games during the marching band season.
- Responsible for the supervision of FHS students at school, while traveling, and visiting off-site locations (competitions, band camp, state finals at Ford Field, etc). Maintains high-standards for student behavior and engagement as representatives of FHS.
- Supervise rehearsals and meetings with students, assist with discipline and student management situations.
- Communicate with parents, attend parent informational meetings, collaborate with staff and parent volunteers. Instruct and support student leaders.
- Encourage and enlist parent volunteers to fulfill needed roles throughout the marching band season.
- Assist in communicating with school administration, staff, parents, students, and band director as needed.
- Responsible for marching band student attendance. Track attendance, tardies, and excused absences. Investigates unexcused absences.
- Maintain calendar and provide timely announcements and reminders of upcoming events. Ensures students are informed and on-task.
- Assist director and instructional staff with the audition/selection process.
- Assist with uniform distribution and maintenance as needed.
- Work with director to identify ways to involve the marching band in Ferndale community events.
- Co-coordinate instructional camp at Interlochen Arts Academy with band director for a minimum of one calendar week in August.
- Work in conjunction with the director to identify and allocate funds for purchases, such as arrangements, supplies, and instruments.
- Help ensure that all instruments are in proper working condition (functional, tuned, and repaired if necessary).
- Facilitate the movement of equipment and supplies to and from rehearsals, competitions, and performances. Assist director with planning and organization of time and materials.
- Assist director with arranging and scheduling transportation with FPS transportation department.
- Ensure discretion and protect student privacy while handling sensitive or personal information.
- Track academic achievement and progress of members of FHSMB.
- Additional duties as required or as needed.