The Rapid is looking for a Body Shop Technician! 1st, 2nd, or 3rd shift!
Hiring Range: $26.26 to $32.72 per hour (This rate includes the $0.75 shift premium. Pay range is dependent on experience and ASE or State Certifications).
Fringe Benefits: Clean work environment, updated fleet, fully stoked parts room, toolbox provided, paid CDL training, $650 per year tool allowance, $175 per year boot allowance, uniforms are provided, heated and AC shop, health, dental, and vision insurance, gym membership reimbursement, onsite wellness consultant, onsite workout facilities. Benefits start 1st of the month after the date of hire!
The Body Shop Technician is a safety-sensitive position that under the general supervision of the Maintenance Supervisor will be capable of performing the full range of body and mechanical repairs to a variety of gasoline, diesel, and alternative fuel (compressed natural gas and hybrid) powered buses and related vehicles.
- Use hand tools such as screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, hammers, as well as power tools such as pneumatic wrenches, metal cutting shears, hydraulic presses, and torches.
- Maintains and creates records and work history within electronic repair orders.
- Use of in-ground and above-ground hoists as well as portable hoists and hydraulic jacks to raise equipment for inspection and repair.
- Inspect vehicle damage and prepare cost estimate for parts and labor.
- Sand, file, grind, clean and prep body surfaces to be painted.
- Prime and paint prepared surfaces, using paint sprayers and related tools.
- Remove, repair and replace damaged sections of vehicle body and related mechanical components.
- Chain or clamp frames and sections to floor anchor pots and use hydraulic pressure to align damaged components.
- Fill and repair dents, high spots, holes, etc. on damaged areas using materials such as aluminum, steel, body filler, fiberglass, etc.
- Remove, replace and repair upholstery, seats, doors, windows, glass, trim and accessories.
- Test drive/operate light-duty vehicles, trucks, buses and support equipment to diagnose malfunctions or to ensure they are working properly.
- Fabrication, welding, cutting and grinding to include torch work.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Accuracy - Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Responsible - Ability to be held accountable and answer for one's conduct while maintaining a professional attitude.
- Safety Awareness - Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect employee safety.
- Diversity Oriented - Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job type.
- Honesty / Integrity - Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: Minimum of one year of vocational/technical schooling or equivalent work experience.
Experience: Available classifications (shown below) based upon collective bargaining agreements.
Class III: Hiring Level.
Class II: Must hold and maintain any combination of three ASE or State equivalent certifications: Painting & Refinishing; Non-structural Analysis & Damage Repair; Structural Analysis & Damage Repair; Mechanical & Electrical Components. Must hold 609 Air Conditioning certification. Any combination of technical education and experience equivalent to three years of verifiable experience in collision repair, painting and refinishing in the automotive or transportation field.
Class I: Must hold and maintain ASE Certified Master Collision Repair/Refinishing Technician. Must hold 609 Air Conditioning certification. Any combination of technical education and experience equivalent to four years of verifiable experience in collision repair, painting and refinishing in the automotive or transportation field.
Master: Must hold and maintain ASE Certified Master Collision Repair/ Refinishing Technician. Must hold 609 Air Conditioning certification. Must have a certificate of course completion or demonstrate proficiency in Arc, Mig, Tig and Gas welding. A minimum of 90 days service as a Technician Class I, II, or III at ITP. Any combination of technical education and experience equivalent to five years of verifiable experience in collision repair, painting and refinishing in the automotive or transportation field.
Basic computer skills with the ability to learn new programs as required.
Certificates & Licenses: All positions require a valid Michigan Commercial Driver's License (CDL). The Rapid provides paid training during work hours. Training occurs on first shift for approximately 90 days.
Other Requirements: Must pass Department of Transportation (DOT) pre-employment physical and drug screening, have a clean driving record with 4 points or less, and not have had a suspended license in the preceding 36 months.
Must provide own hand tools as necessary to perform the assigned work. Must pass Department of Transportation (DOT) pre-employment physical and drug screening.
Posture: Prolonged standing, short walking, various trunk positions have to be maintained for prolonged periods when performing repairs; sitting only during bus inspections and break periods. Requires normal trunk mobility, bending of knees, normal cervical mobility, full shoulder mobility, normal elbow/wrist/hand mobility.
Force Required: Lumbar lifting, (floor to waist) up to 85 pounds; cervical lifting (waist to overhead) up to 77 pounds; pushing/pulling isometrically up to 62 pounds; dynamically 32 pounds; carrying up to 62 pounds.
Repetitions: Aforementioned tasks are occurring throughout the workday in repair of buses.
Employee is required to perform job duties in accordance with existing health and safety procedures and policies.
Work will be performed in a typical bus/auto garage type environment which will include road testing and being subject to both hot and cold climates.
The Company has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the Company reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the Company may deem appropriate.
The Rapid is an EEO Employer - Women, Minorities, and Veterans are Encouraged to Apply