Lake County is currently seeking applicants for 911 Dispatchers. We have both full and part positions available with a starting wage of $14.61 per hour. Full time positions have a generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life, short term disability insurance, a retirement plan, paid time off, and paid holidays.
Must be willing to work any shift, including weekends, holidays and overtime as the Lake County 911 Central Dispatch is a 24 hour/7 day a week operation.
This position performs telephone call intake, and responds to requests for assistance by dispatching emergency personnel according to established protocols and procedures. Maintains contact with callers and responders to gather and relay information as needed. Provides emergency medical instructions as appropriate. Provides warrants or other information to public safety personnel as requested. Responds to callers with complaints or non-emergency requests by providing information or referrals.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Must be able to type accurately and efficiently with a minimum of 40 wpm
- Must possess high level interpersonal skills to respond to callers during often difficult or stressful situations, convey detailed instructions and precise information, maintain effective contacts with responders and other personnel, and work cooperatively with others.
- Must be able to remain calm under stress and maintain focus under pressure. Must be able to react appropriately to excited or hysterical callers. Must be able to convey by voice professional demeanor and authoritative command to maintain effective control of emergency situations.
- Requires advanced communication skills; and ability to read and interpret detailed manuals, maps and procedures; and proof and edit data and information for grammar, spelling and punctuation, at a level normally acquired through completion of high school.
- Analytical abilities necessary to quickly determine nature of emergency and appropriate response, rapidly react to changing situations, read and interpret maps and detailed policies, and provide precise directions or instructions.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality of information and materials which may be highly sensitive.
Background investigation, including criminal background check is required for all candidates as well as basic skills testing, typing and general aptitude tests. Pre-employment drug screening and physical are required.
Applications including resume and cover letter can be dropped off in person or sent by mail or email to:
Lake County Administration Office
800 Tenth Street, Suite 100
Baldwin, MI 49304