Basic Job Description: The Weld Engineer will be responsible for development and improvement of all welding and welding related processes.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with Manufacturing and Engineering leadership by acting as welding process subject matter expert on plant level launches, projects, and activities.
- Provide key input into the development of departmental strategic goals along with identifying key measurable to support the departmental goals.
- Use Solidworks to design manual, robotic and spot weld fixturing.
- Develop guidelines for design of manual, robotic and spot weld fixturing.
- Use Solidworks to create manufacturing drawings.
- Specify welding equipment, welding consumables, electrical and mechanical systems, robotic systems, and any related components associated with the welding process.
- Recommend and develop preventative maintenance procedures for all plant welding equipment including robotic systems. Evaluate processes and procedures to maintain or improve weld parameters and weld efficiency.
- Guides design, develops and tests welding methods, materials, processes and results.
- Support project engineering on new and existing programs.
- Champion assigned engineering changes, communicate and coordinate accordingly to all departments.
- Direct and/or participate in root cause analysis and team problem solving activities (ex. 8D reports, department meetings, etc.).
- Establish welding/joining methodologies for new materials and products
- Conduct testing and metallurgical analysis as required
- Participation in American Welding Society D1.1 Welding Committee.
- Additional duties as assigned which may be required from time to time.
- Knowledge of testing procedures and methodologies (e.g. Design of Experiments)
- Design or Applications Engineering experience with fastening or welding preferred
- Knowledge of general engineering practices related to electrical and mechanical systems
- Project management skills with emphasis on meeting deadlines,
- Strong Computer, Technical Writing and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor of Science degree in Welding Engineering Technology, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of experience in product development with direct customer interaction preferred
- AWS Certified Weld Engineer a PLUS, but not required
- AWS Certified Weld Inspector a PLUS, but not required
- 3D modeling and drafting experience (Solidworks, Unigraphics, Catia, ProE) a PLUS, but not required