The Lansing Board of Water & Light has an opening for an Accounting / Internal Control Analyst in Lansing, MI.
Job Type: Full-Time
Starting Salary Range: $62,100 - $74,000
The Internal Control Analyst serves as a professional analyst, with responsibility for assignments that require knowledge in the fields of accounting and auditing. The position will review and make recommendations on confidential and sensitive material and will acquire knowledge about the organization by conducting reviews and investigations of operations, corporate functions, IT systems and applications. The Analyst will conduct investigations and analysis to ensure that internal controls and best practices achieve BWL business objectives, minimize risk exposure, and promote effectiveness and efficiency. This position involves interaction with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Support in evaluating the design of internal controls and make recommendations for improvement.
- Assist departments with the understanding and implementation of designated internal control procedures.
- Assist in transactional reviews (audits) of key financial and operational processes.
- Create documentation, including narratives and work flow diagrams, of key business processes and sub-processes, and test effectiveness of key internal controls identified therein, assist departments in developing procedures and guidelines that include appropriate internal controls.
- Evaluate policies and procedures of financial and operational processes to assess the design and effectiveness of internal controls consistent with corporate objectives.
- Perform internal control evaluations for any significant processes that experience material change; prepare formal reports expressing objective opinions regarding the design and effectiveness of internal controls and the efficiency with which activities are carried out.
- Support department owners in keeping their processes and controls updated and in alignment with the Corporate Internal Control Program.
- Assist in the development and implementation of goals, policies, priorities, and procedures relating to internal controls.
- Prepare updates to supervisor and management, to include management control remediation plans.
- Promote the value of internal control to departments throughout the BWL.
- Provide support as needed during the annual financial audit.
- Provide interdepartmental support for the Accounting, Finance and Planning team including process improvement and establishment of departmental processes and procedures.
- Expected to comply with all BWL policies and work rules.
- Reliable and predictable attendance.
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
- This position requires knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired through a Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Accounting, Business, or other related field from an accredited college or university, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- This position requires a minimum of two years of professional experience related to internal / external audit or accounting practices.
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification or equivalent preferred.
- Knowledge of methods of planning, developing, and administering audit programs.
- Ability to identify control deficiencies and develop appropriate corrective action plans.
- Proficient with the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Teams, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills, with ability to effectively communicate with technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrates initiative and effective decision-making and problem-solving skills.
Physical Requirements / Working Conditions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be able to remain in a stationary position for the majority of the working day. The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office environment including the use of stairs. Constantly operates a computer, and other office equipment. Ability to adjust focus, especially due to concentration on a computer screen. Must communicate frequently with other departments and employees both verbally and in writing. May need to lift and carry up to 30 pounds and/or position the body to reach items on the floor/below knee level or reach overhead. The person in this position needs to occasionally move about in industrial environments, and uneven terrain. May be required to recognize small numbers, letters, symbols, colors on prints, and/or operate field instruments/equipment.
Works in temperature-controlled office environment, with occasional work in outdoor weather conditions, and in industrial environments.
Must successfully complete a background check, a substance screening and a physical (if applicable).
Why Should You Apply?
- Competitive salary, employee development, and opportunity for professional growth.
- Robust time off benefits including vacation, free choice, sick leave, and paid holidays.
- Comprehensive benefits package including medical, prescription, dental, life insurance, long-term disability, and employee assistance program.
- Retirement programs including 401a (100% company paid up to 13% of base salary), 457 match up to $2,500 per year, retiree medical.
- Voluntary benefits including supplemental and dependent life insurance, vision, flexible spending, AFLAC options, LifeLock anti-theft, long term care, tuition reimbursement, HOPE loan.
The Board of Water & Light serves Lansing, Michigan, and surrounding areas with electricity, water, and steam. Lansing's city charter vests the BWL with full and exclusive management of water, steam, and electric services for or the city. The American Public Power Association has honored the Lansing Board of Water & Light as one of the country's best publicly owned utilities.
Lansing, MI provides the opportunity to enjoy all seasons of fun and beauty. With the Grand River open for kayaking, lush golf courses, 17+ miles of trails for biking/hiking/running, Potter Park Zoo, and the sports, the arts and fine foods that comes from being near a major University, Michigan State University, there is a spot for everyone. The area is a short drive from Lake Michigan's shoreline where there is views of natural beauty, boating, fishing, and windsurfing.
THE BOARD OF WATER & LIGHT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER