Position Title: Custodian
Bargaining Unit: Grand Rapids Educational Support Professionals Association (GRESPA)
Pay Rate: Determined by the collective bargaining agreement
Earning Days: Determined by the negotiated calendar
GRPS MISSION: Our mission is to ensure that all students are educated, self-directed and productive members of society.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
This position is a member of the Operations Department and reports directly to the Operations leader in the building the person is assigned to. This position will also report indirectly to the Building Administration for day-to-day building instructions. The position supports the educational process by maintaining the District’s buildings in operational excellence through efficient housekeeping, grounds keeping and basic repair services. This position may be assigned and work in multiple buildings as required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential functions under the Americans with Disabilities Act may include any of the following duties, knowledge and skills. This list is illustrative only and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by employees in this position. Regular attendance is an essential function of this job. Other essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Contributes to the TEAM EFFORT as outlined through the District strategic plan, the District and departmental mission statements, and the departmental goals and objectivesCooperate and communicate with the Operations Team and Building Administrator and their staff to properly maintain the physical plant and site in a sanitary, safe and functional condition
- Perform daily custodial and daily grounds tasks according to an approved work schedule and perform periodic custodial and season ground tasks as required
- Properly operate and maintain various types of building mechanical and departmental cleaning and grounds equipment
- Maintain proper records, including but not limited to personal payroll records and accumulated leave time, equipment operations, shift log, etc.
- Maintain a safe working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations, including but not limited to alarm procedures, building locking and unlocking, etc.
- Must be able to travel between buildings during your shift
- Properly maintain and store tools, equipment and supplies
- Maintain minimum absenteeism according to the established attendance monitoring program
- Interact with co-workers, supervisors and other customers in cooperative, positive and supportive ways
- Any other duties as assigned
This description is intended to describe the type and level of work performed by a person assigned to this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required to be performed in the position.
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to deal with students, parents, the public and other District employees in a tactful and courteous manner
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under pressure and in an environment of constantly changing priorities and work assignments.
- Demonstrated good attendance and punctuality
- Demonstrated ability to participate as a member of a team
- Demonstrated ability to work in a diverse environment
Individual with limited English skills are encouraged to apply.
The physical demands, work environment factors, and mental functions described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Stands and/or walks during most of the working day. Turns, stoops, climbs, bends, pushes, pulls, reaches for and carries materials and equipment in the performance of tasks. Must be able to lift a minimum of 40 pounds. Must be able to work outside for extended periods (up to the entire eight hour shift) in all weather conditions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud to moderate. Work is performed indorrs although there will be required outdoor activities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to compare, analyze, communicate, copy, coordinate, instruct, compute, synthesize, evaluate, use interpersonal skills, compile and negotiate.
METHOD OF APPLICATION:
Grand Rapids Public Schools manages employment applications online. Applications must be completed online at https://grps.tedk12.com/hire. No hardcopy applications/resumes will be accepted for this position. Computer terminals are available in the GRPS Franklin Campus lobby from 8:00am – 4:00pm, Monday-Friday, for applicant use (Monday – Thursday during the summer).
The Grand Rapids Public Schools will not discriminate against any person based on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, height, weight, color, religion, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, disability, veteran or military status.
Americans with Disabilities Act accommodations:
Assistance with the application process may be requested through the Human Resources Department at 616 819-2022 or firstname.lastname@example.org