Great opportunity for those interested in workforce development. The career specialist is responsible for assisting customers of Michigan Works! Service Centers in their search for employment and directing them toward additional workshops or programs from which they may benefit. This includes providing consistent, expert advice and professional support for job seekers and employers in utilizing on-line, Center, and program resources, assisting customers in developing professional electronic resumes, assisting with application completion, conducting on-line job or resume searches and presenting various career development workshops, program orientations and seminars. The Career Specialist is also responsible for providing timely and accurate information regarding the services available to customers, maintaining accurate records in accordance with local, state, federal and unit regulations, and maintaining updated information and resources in the centers.
Minimum qualifications required for this position include:
- Excellent professional administrative skills desired
- A minimum of one (1) year experience working with customers or clients, preferably in a placement, educational, human service, or career development capacity.
- High school diploma or GED required; additional education in a related field preferred, but not required.
- Ability to articulate thoughts clearly, both written and verbally, with proper grammar, punctuation and to apply language rules.
- Ability to present program information to job seekers, community agencies, and employers.
- Ability to apply techniques used in resume and cover letter writing and effectively guide customers in the process.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain professional, friendly relationships with all visitors to the Michigan Works! Service Centers, including job seekers, partner staff, employers, program administrators and monitors.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office - Word, Excel, and various Internet and job search applications.
- Home base will be in Wayne, Michigan; must be able to work at all other locations as needed: Southgate, Dearborn, Highland Park, and Livonia. Must have your own transportation.