Positions Location: Lansing, MI
General Purpose of Job:
Staff Legal Counsel will have responsibility at a Health System level to advise Health System leaders regarding legal and
regulatory compliance matters, draft and negotiate contracts and Health System policies, provide leadership training and perform other legal duties within designated areas of legal expertise.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Caregivers may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- Advise Health System leaders concerning state and federal legal and regulatory compliance matters.
- Review and negotiate terms of Health System contracts as requested.
- Prepare generic contract templates as appropriate and provide related leadership training.
- Prepare regulatory filings, answer complaints or assist external counsel with such matters.
- Assist external legal counsel with legal due dilgence matters, litigation and arbitration matters, bond filings, etc.
- Draft and/or review Health System policies and procedures, manuals, training materials etc. with significant legal and/or regulatory impact.
- Monitor ongoing legal and regulatory developments that are relevant to Sparrow and prepare related leadership communications, training and recommended policy changes.
- Assist Health System with Joint Commission, NCQA and other accreditation matters.
- Assist with maintenance of Sparrow Legal Contract Database, files and related reporting.
- Perform other legal duties as requested.
||• Member in good standing of the State Bar of Michigan.
• Minimum of 4 years of prior work experience in the areas of corporate health law, employment/labor law, real estate/construction law or information technology.
• Experience working in or with an organization(s) comparable to Sparrow Health System.
||• Juris Doctor Degree from an A.B.A. accredited law school.
|Specialized Knowledge and Skills
• Strong attention to detail.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate in a logical, concise and persuasive manner, both orally and in writing.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced, changing environment while maintaining a professional demeanor.
• High level of discretion and confidentiality.
• Ability to cope with stressful situations and maintain a calm and professional manner.
• Develops solutions to problems of unusual complexity that require a high degree of ingenuity, creativity and innovation.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Demonstrates ability to use a keyboard as may be required to perform the essential duties of the job.
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.