Department: Public Service Department (Permits/Admin./Engineering)
Pay range: $44.45/hour to $59.87/hour
Deadline: Open until filled
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Oversees the administration division of the department, which includes general administration for the department, plus
communications, sustainability efforts and special projects.
• Assists the Public Service Director in managing the other five (5) operating divisions:
• Engineering, which provides technical support including preparation of construction plans and specifications, records
and maps, construction management, permitting, inspection and regulation, development of maintenance priorities,
special event oversight, traffic signal and sign engineering, non-motorized planning, and other special projects.
• Operations and Maintenance, which oversees forestry, cemetery operations, trash, recycling and yard waste
collection, maintenance of the city’s public infrastructure including streets, trails and sidewalks, sewers (storm,
sanitary and combined) including minor pump stations, bridges, and pedestrian overpasses.
• Fleet Services, which purchases and maintains city vehicles and equipment.
• Property Management, which operates and maintains City owned buildings and facilities.
• Wastewater, which operates the wastewater treatment plant and major pump stations for the sanitary sewer system.
• Oversees the preparation and management of the department’s $95 million multi-fund budget.
• Acts as a liaison with the Michigan Department of Transportation, Michigan Department of Environment Great Lakes and
Energy (EGLE), Ingham County Drain Commissioner, Ingham County Road Department, Tri-County Regional Planning
Commission, and other public (federal, state and local) and private groups and agencies.
• Develops, helps negotiate, and/or reviews agreements including construction contracts, professional services agreements, licenses, leases, etc.
• Assists in the selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal of departmental employees.
• Acts as the Department representative frequently and as Public Service Director as required