TruNorth Federal Credit Union in Ishpeming, MI is seeking a Compliance Specialist to join their growing team. TruNorth Federal Credit Union is a $195 million credit union with 3 branch locations and over 40 employees. This is a full-time exempt position. This position reports directly to the President/CEO providing guidance on the credit union’s compliance with all laws and regulations.
The Compliance Specialist is responsible for regularly reviewing and analyzing compliance regulations, evaluating the credit union’s current policies, assessing the credit union’s risk potential, recommending changes to policies and procedures, ensuring successful implementation of any changes, and conducting internal compliance audits. The Compliance Specialist will also act a subject matter expert and conduct any necessary compliance related training for employees and board members/volunteers. This position will be responsible for policy management, vendor management, and will also serve as Bank Secrecy Officer.
The Compliance Specialist will be required to receive the Credit Union Compliance Expert (CUCE) Designation by successfully completed the Credit Union National Association (CUNA) Regulatory Compliance Certification School. This will be completed during the first year of employment with all expenses paid by TruNorth Federal Credit Union.
- Regularly review and analyze laws and regulations that impact the credit union’s compliance requirements.
- Evaluate the credit union’s policies, procedures, products, and programs to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Assess risk potential of current procedures and institute new procedures that minimize loss exposure.
- Make recommendations for policy and procedure changes where appropriate. Write and implement new policies/procedures as needed.
- Oversee management of all credit union policies ensuring they are regularly reviewed and updated by the Board of Directors.
- Oversee management of all credit union vendors ensuring appropriate due diligence is completed for all new vendors.
- Conduct internal compliance audits and assist with any external compliance examinations.
- Serve as the compliance subject matter expert ensuring employees and board members/volunteers have adequate training on all policies and procedures. Communicate policy changes and follow up to ensure proper implementation.
- Act as Bank Secrecy Officer responsible for ensuring daily Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) procedures and policies are implemented and completed as required including Currency Transaction Reports (CTRs) and Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs). Review the high-risk listing, the monetary instruments log, the excessive transactions reports, and monitor for check kiting.
- Possible accounting or internal auditing related duties depending on the background of the successful candidate.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Extensive knowledge of financial institution compliance regulations
- Strong knowledge of all credit union policies, products, and services
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and exercise direction and judgement on significant matters
- Ability to analyze and interpret compliance regulations and make recommendations for updates/new policies and procedures
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude and work proactively and collaboratively with others at all levels of the organization and with external stakeholders
- Ability to present a professional demeanor and appearance
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer and telephone systems, including MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Minimum Education: High School Diploma or equivalent
Minimum Experience: One year experience of compliance related experience not necessarily at a financial institution
- Compliance experience in a financial institution
- Post-secondary degree in accounting, business, or a related field
- Relevant specialized training
Compensation: Minimum $50,000 salary. Compensation is commensurate with qualifications/experience. Full benefit package including:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending or Heath Savings Account
- Life and Disability Insurance
- 10% employer 401K retirement contribution
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement