Position: 0-5 Head Start Classroom Substitute (On-Call) ____
Classification: $12.90 per hour _________
Work Weeks: varies_________________ Hours: varies________ _
Supervisor: 0-5 Head Start Education Coordinator___________
Positions Supervised: None
Essential Function of Job:
The 0-5 Head Start Substitute works collaboratively with center staff to ensure the implementation of the 0-5 Head Start program in accordance with the Head Start Program Performance Standards, Child Day Care Licensing Requirements, and CACFP Regulations.
Examples of Work:
(Any one position may not include all the duties listed nor do the listed examples include all tasks which may be found in the positions of this class.)
- Provide a safe, healthy, and organized environment for children through daily monitoring of activities and maintenance of the classroom environment.
- Assist with children and activities as directed.
- Prepare meals and snacks as outlined on menus.
- Familiarize and follow all policies, procedures, and requirements as set forth in Head Start Program Performance Standards, Child Day Care Licensing, and CACFP.
- Communicate positively with children, parents, volunteers and staff in verbal and non-verbal interactions.
- Attend required trainings and complete a minimum of 16 clock hours of professional development training annually on topics relevant to job responsibilities.
- Assist in record keeping as assigned.
- Support agency’s Operations Department, as requested, by riding the bus and providing oversight of children while in transit and transition.
- Notify Supervisor in advance if unable to work.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Requirements of Work:
- Good listening skills, verbal communication and positive methods of guidance.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- A demonstrated ability to interact positively with parents and children in a non-judgmental way.
- Capability to lift and carry up to 40 pounds.
- Access to reliable transportation.
- An initial health examination (that includes screening for tuberculosis) and a periodic re-examination (as recommended by health care provider or as mandated by State or local laws).
- Absence of exclusionary findings on a Comprehensive Criminal History Check.
Required Minimum Training and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Experience with early childhood programs and food service preferred.
- Successful completion of all training topics, as required by Child Day Care Licensing, within specified timeframes.
- Completion of 16 clock hours of professional development training, annually.