Set up and operate a variety of machine tools to produce precision parts and instruments. Includes precision instrument makers who fabricate, modify, or repair mechanical instruments. May also fabricate and modify parts to make or repair machine tools or maintain industrial machines, applying knowledge of mechanics, mathematics, metal properties, layout, and machining procedures.
general machining/broach making
surface grinder, O.D. grinder, spline grinder
Experience in machining center and lathe programming, milling, and grinding.
• Align and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, or materials onto machines.
• Calculate dimensions or tolerances, using instruments such as micrometers or vernier calipers.
• Confer with engineering, supervisory, or manufacturing personnel to exchange technical information.
• Confer with numerical control programmers to check and ensure that new programs or machinery will function properly and that output will meet specifications.
• Fit and assemble parts to make or repair machine tools.
• Lay out, measure, and mark metal stock to display placement of cuts.
• Machine parts to specifications, using machine tools, such as lathes, milling machines, shapers, or grinders.
• Set up or operate metalworking, brazing, heat-treating, welding, or cutting equipment.
• Set up, adjust, or operate basic or specialized machine tools used to perform precision machining operations.