Summary – The Compliance Specialist/HIPAA Privacy Officer supports the General Counsel and the Compliance Officer in ensuring that the Company is in compliance with privacy and other laws and regulations applicable to third-party administrators and benefit plans.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities include the following:
- Serve as Privacy Officer for BeneSys and client funds that have contracted for this service.
- Investigate and document privacy incidents (PHI and non-HIPAA PII).
- Perform breach assessments.
- Recommend remediation and mitigation steps following a privacy event.
- Coordinate breach notification as may be required by law or client agreements.
- Create and update privacy and other compliance forms.
- Train and educate employees on HIPAA and state and federal privacy laws.
- Answer questions and serve as a privacy resource for employees.
- Talk with outside parties, including members, employers and unions, about privacy events and as needed.
- Consult with managers and supervisors on special projects on privacy issues.
- Create and distribute periodic memos and emails on HIPAA and privacy compliance.
- Conduct trainings for self-administered clients if requested.
- Oversee and supervise HIPAA desk audit program.
- Monitor and archive business associate agreements.
- Develop metrics and reports related to BeneSys' privacy compliance.
- Assist the Compliance Officer and General Counsel with updates and amendments to HIPAA and other privacy-related policies.
- Work with the Security Officer as needed on HIPAA and privacy issues.
- Serve as a project manager or team member on special compliance-related projects.
- Document and communicate best privacy practices.
- Maintain general knowledge of benefit plan operations and industry practices and specific familiarity with Company applications and procedures (e.g., eligibility and claims software; websites, etc.).
- Research HIPAA and other privacy compliance issues.
- Serve as project manager on special projects as assigned by General Counsel and the Compliance Officer.
- Assist the Compliance Officer and General Counsel on privacy and other compliance assignments.
Supervisory Responsibilities - No
Qualifications - To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential duties and responsibilities with the highest level of professionalism, skill, and integrity. The individual must be a self-starter and capable of working independently, with a strong attention to detail and outstanding organizational skills. The individual must feel comfortable communicating with employees at all levels of the organization, including the Executive Team.
Education and/or Experience 3 years of work-related experience and/or an Associate's degree or above
Language Skills Excellent reading comprehension skills. Must be able to communicate professionally and clearly. Strong language and writing skills are necessary.
Mathematical Skills Ability to apply concepts of basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
Reasoning Ability Ability to apply common sense to carry out detailed written or verbal instructions. Must use effective analytical & problem-solving skills daily.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations None required
Physical Demands The physical demands are representative of those typically required of an individual working in an office environment. Position requires work at a computer display terminal and desk, including typing on a keyboard, for a substantial part of the workday. Position will spend a significant amount of time communicating both electronically and via telephone.
Work Environment Typical office environment with standard equipment and tasks. May require some travel. Position works principally in the company's office, but some remote work is possible with company approval.
The company will make reasonable accommodations so that qualified individuals with disabilities can perform the essential functions of this position.
Monday - Friday 7:30 am - 4:30 pm. Requires in-office but also offers at-home flexibility after 90-180 days
Competitive Benefits & Compensation Package
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 15 days of PTO during the next calendar year!
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Company paid short term disability, long term disability, and AD&D insurance
- 401k with employer match
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Paid training
- Career development opportunities
- Referral bonus for all full-time referrals
- Competitive wages
- Annual opportunities for increases and bonuses
Pay commensurate with education and experience.
BeneSys wants to be a great service provider to the members we serve, and we recognize we can only do that if we are also a great employer with successful employees. In short, our success is driven by our employees' successes. We want to be a place people want to work, feel proud of what they do and feel fulfilled both professionally and personally; creating a place where employees can find long-term growth and potential.
Our culture focuses on three core values:
- Collaboration: working together across 31 locations to achieve the best for the company and our clients.
- Dedication: striving to create an environment where all employees work toward a common goal while committing to providing the best customer service to our members and our colleagues.
- Integrity: doing what we say we will do. Upholding strong ethical and moral principles