To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or .
Job Description Summary
Responsible for the safe operation and maintenance of all facilities systems within the building complex or zone as defined and assigned. Maintain a safe and comfortable environment for students, faculty and staff in a cost-effective manner under minimum supervision.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
1. Ensure conformance to safety, security, and sanitation regulations.
2. Provide excellent customer service to a diverse group of internal and external customers.
3. Identify maintenance and custodial needs.
4. Establish and adjust work assignments to meet operational needs.
5. Maintain inventory and order parts and materials for maintenance and custodial operations.
6. Prepare maintenance inspection reports.
7. Conduct inspections of storage areas in order to maintain a neat, clean and well-organized area.
8. Perform general maintenance and repair/replace work in the assigned areas and buildings to maintain the various structures including architectural finishes, electrical systems, machines, pumps, heating systems, equipment, plumbing, furniture, windows, kitchen equipment, fume hoods and other lab equipment.
9. Conduct daily inspection of doors, entrances, parking lots, elevators, snow conditions, HVAC equipment, temperature control systems, water systems, and steam systems.
10. Conduct weekly inspections of lighting, roof drains and flashing, cooling systems, chemical treatment, generators and fire systems.
11. Replace and repair lights, ballast, receptacles, switches, fuses, pipe insulation, steam traps, expansion joints, plumbing fixtures, gaskets, doors, windows, furniture, hardware, and clocks.
12. Respond to fire and elevator alarms and provide a variety of building occupant needs.
13. Responsible for first line building energy management.
14. Perform janitorial work as required and assigned.
15. Assist Licensed Trades in making repairs.
16. Perform various preventative maintenance tasks according to Maintenance Direct work order system, and update and improve preventative maintenance when new equipment or procedures are installed.
17. Read and work from blueprints, sketches, schematic diagrams and instruction manuals.
18. Cut, and sweat fittings using proper hot work procedures and perform routine carpentry, plumbing, and electrical work.
19. Conduct monthly readings of utility meters.
20. Clean-up mechanical and electrical rooms on a regular basis.
21. Operate safely and effectively all pieces of equipment pertaining to the facility systems.
22. Utilize a network terminal to interface with and operate the building systems HVAC energy management systems.
23. Commit to learning about continuous improvement strategies and applying them to everyday work. Actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives.
24. Contribute to a safe working environment by following safe work procedures, wearing assigned PPE, actively participate in safety training and development of safe work procedures.
25. Ability to be trained from and to work in OSHA regulated confined spaces.
26. Supervisory Responsibilities as needed: Functional supervision of AFSCME employees and student employees when necessary.
27. Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work.
Required Education, Certifications, Licensures (minimum requirements)
* High school diploma, with a minimum of two years in a related trade school OR an Associate Degree in Construction, Technology, or related field OR an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
* Four years experience in building operations and maintenance including electrical, mechanical, architectural, HVAC, steam systems, water systems, refrigeration systems, and fire suppression systems.
* Two years experience working with the general public/customers.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
* Building maintenance experience in an athletic, research, or academic facility
* Two years of functional supervision of maintenance/custodial personnel.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
* Demonstrated knowledge of computers including email and search engines and demonstrated ability to use computerized building control systems.
* Demonstrated ability to use basic internet and web-based applications.
* Excellent interpersonal, customer service and oral/written communication skills.
* Demonstrated ability to independently organize and prioritize work assignments.
* Demonstrated ability to learn and follow instructions.
* Demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with people in varying situations, and in all areas when assigned.
* Demonstrated ability to maintain a clean and safe facility.
* Demonstrated understanding of safe operating and maintenance procedures.
* Demonstrated ability to perform fire system test checks on a weekly, monthly, yearly basis including pull tests, pump exercising and visual inspections.
* Knowledge and ability to properly troubleshoot, maintain and repair commercial and industrial building... For full info follow application link.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.