- The Electrical Controls Engineer (ECE) must have at least 3-5+ years of direct electrical/hydraulic experience.
- The ECE must have experience creating and maintaining accurate Bills of Material and determine specifications of components. This could include sizing and sourcing components such as motors, pumps, valves, hydraulic circuits and components, pneumatics, wiring, and piping/hosing.
- The ECE must be able to create and modify electrical and hydraulic schematics using Solidworks and AutoCAD programs.
- The ECE must be able to provide internal and external troubleshooting support of existing and new electrical/hydraulic schematics.
- The ECE must work with the rest of the engineering team to design, develop and validate new and modified hydraulic and electrical systems on current production machines, equipment under development, and any custom-built equipment that requires custom hydraulic or electrical controls.
- The ECE must possess effective communication skills, the ability to work independently with minimal supervision and work effectively within a team environment.
- The ECE must possess mechanical aptitude, strong organization, and high attention to detail.
- UL 508A MTR (Manufacturer Technical Representative) Certification recommended, or the aptitude to become certified.
- The ECE must possess working knowledge of UL 508A standards to uphold SP’s existing UL-rated equipment.
- The ECE must have working knowledge and programming capabilities of ladder logic type PLC systems, which could include: Logix 500, Logix 5000 Allen Bradley / Rockwell Automation Software, Millennium M3, Siemens software.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering is preferred, or minimum 5+ electrical controls experience.
- The ECE must have a working knowledge of Microsoft M365 Suite (including Word, Excel, Teams, Outlook)
About the Role:
SP Industries is dedicated to maintaining the highest level of service, product quality, and product design. We also remain committed to sincerely, professionally, and ethically serving the best interests of our customers. The ECE will create new and improved existing machinery control designs. The ECE will work with all departments, so communication and organization will be a required trait. The ECE will follow all company rules and standard operating procedures.
- Develop a working knowledge of existing electrical/hydraulic and PLC system methodology.
- Responsible for testing and inspection of electrical /hydraulic systems in our machinery.
- Develop and produce electrical/hydraulic engineering documentation such as schematics, panel designs, power unit layouts and operational/troubleshooting SOPs for internal and external use.
- The ECE will develop and design in SolidWorks and work directly with our ERP system to import the BOMs required.
- The ECE will calculate flow and pressure measurements including motor/pump combinations, relief valving, tank sizing, filtering, and cooling/heating requirements.
- Research industry standards and trends to develop and implement effective improvements to existing design standards.
- Support in-house and in-field technicians with electrical/hydraulic troubleshooting, as-built schematics, and equipment documentation.
- Develop scope-of-work documentation (components/labor) required for sales and R&D applications.
- Support existing and brainstorm new continuous improvement opportunities within the company.
- Manage one’s workload to ensure steady progress and timely completion of ECE’s requirements, responsibilities, and corporate initiatives.
- The ECE must be proficient in an interdepartmental work environment.
- Must adhere and enforce all criteria to maintain compliance with ANSI Z245.2 Safety Standards and applicable OSHA regulations.
- The ECE will meet and exceed UL 508A Standards for related component design characteristics, quality standards and product documentation/decaling.
- Travel is expected to be minimal but may be required for some projects.
- Note: this list of responsibilities is not inclusive; however, it is intended to be a basis for performance and evaluation.
SP Industries Inc. offers competitive wages with the opportunity for performance-based profit sharing. A company computer, monitors and any necessary equipment will be provided. Health, Dental, Short-Term Disability Insurances, 401K, Health Savings Account, and continuous improvement/education/training opportunities are available along with paid vacation and 9 paid holidays.
SP Industries Inc. is a family-owned and operated company that designs custom waste and recycling material handling equipment out of Hopkins, MI. We exist to manufacture the highest quality waste handling equipment, customized to surpass customer expectations while serving with integrity to those we work for and work with. With growth in mind, we’re looking to expand our SP family. SP Industries is located conveniently between Holland, Grand Rapids, and Kalamazoo.