The bus operator position is a safety-sensitive position that requires safe, timely and professional operations of assigned bus on assigned route(s). Provide an exceptional customer service experience to our passengers. May assist passengers with packages, bicycles, luggage, etc. Collection of fares. Maintaining orderly operations and passenger interactions.
- Must understand and speak English to communicate with passengers/customers. Must be able to read, interpret and follow run guide for assigned route; leaving route only as directed by Transportation Manager, or Transportation Supervisors, and must maintain required schedule
- Drive vehicles over specified routes or to specified destinations according to time schedules, complying with traffic regulations to ensure that passengers have a smooth and safe ride.
- Report all incidents or accidents and complete/submit the required forms, documents and/or reports as required.
- Monitor passenger activities to maintain orderly conduct on the bus and submit appropriate reports regarding passenger emergencies, disruptions, and any other non-typical events.
- Manage fare box transactions.
- Inspect vehicles in accordance with our Pre-Trip inspection requirements.
- Maintain cleanliness of bus.
- Must be able to safely secure mobility devices in accordance with FTA rules for ADA passengers.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Customer Oriented - Ability to take care of the customers’ needs while following company procedures.
- Diversity Oriented - Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job type.
- Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
- Responsible - Ability to be held accountable or answerable for one’s conduct.
- Safety Awareness - Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect employee and customer safety.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to verbally communicate effectively with others.
- Patience - Ability to act calmly under stress and strain, and of not being hasty or impetuous.
- Honesty / Integrity - Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
- Must possess a valid Michigan license with less than 4 points. Points greater than 4 will automatically disqualify the applicant from consideration.
- Must be able to obtain the proper CDL license with endorsements prior to the end of the training program for new drivers.
- Must meet and maintain all DOT physical examination requirements including drug and alcohol screening.
- Must maintain an excellent driving record.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED)
Experience: One to two years related experience (preferred)
Certificates & Licenses
Valid Michigan Driver's license and the ability to obtain CDL license during training with A OR B AND P endorsements
Strong customer service skills. Exceptional dedication to dependability and punctuality. Strong work ethic. Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Proof of safe driving as provided by the State of Michigan
Posture: Primarily sitting, except when checking bus over and standing to change signs, etc. Requires normal cervical mobility, trunk mobility, shoulder motion to 150°, normal elbow/wrist/ hand mobility. Repeated trunk positioning is required to adjust the driver’s seat to proper position (using pneumatic controls).
Force Required: Turning wheel requires up to 50 pounds of rotator force, 17 pounds to adjust mirrors, lifting back tailgate requires up to 50 pounds.
Repetitions: Eighty-eight (88) turns of the wheel on short routes, and up to 205 turns of wheel on long routes. Mirror adjusting normally occurs daily. Lifting the tailgate occurs only if the bus breaks down.
Bending: Safe securement of mobility devices in a predetermined area of the vehicle using a (4) point tie down system.
Employee is required to perform job duties in accordance with existing health and safety procedures and policies.