CG Automation & Fixture (CGAF) is a leading manufacturer of check fixtures, gauges, models, and automated secondary equipment for the automotive and appliance industries, located in Comstock Park, MI (just north of Grand Rapids). We are a privately-owned business with a rich history spanning over 30 years. Our on-going success hinges on continued customer satisfaction. This satisfaction is decided, in large part by the performance of our employees. Our commitment to employee engagement and culture is at the forefront of what we do. We are looking for a Fixture Builder Apprentice to join our team, in this entry-level capacity, as someone looking to build a manufacturing career and likely pursue a journeyman's certificate through our employer-paid education and on the job training.
What You'll Do:
The Fixture Builder Apprentice is responsible for engaging within this role to learn from experienced Fixture Builders and work under their supervision and tutelage. In this role, you will:
- Review the gage design with Foreman and design staff at kick-off meeting.
- Make changes as necessary to the tool.
- Add components as necessary.
- Check the stock list to assure the correct components are used.
- Check the stock list to assure everything functions properly.
- Connects clamps to fixture , using hand tools.
- Conduct test runs with completed gages to ensure that parts meet specifications; make adjustments as necessary.
- File, grind, shim, and adjust different parts to properly fit them together.
- Fit and assemble parts to make, repair, or modify dies, jigs, gauges, and tools, using machine tools and hand tools.
- Inspect finished fixtures for smoothness, contour conformity, and defects.
- Lift, position, and secure machined parts on surface plates or worktables, using hoists, vises, v-blocks, or angle plates.
- Measure, mark, and scribe metal or plastic stock to lay out machining, using instruments such as protractors, micrometers, scribes, height gages and scales.
- Select metals to be used from a range of metals and alloys, based on properties such as hardness and heat tolerance.
- Set up and operate conventional or computer numerically controlled machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, and grinders to cut, bore, grind, or otherwise shape parts to prescribed dimensions and finishes.
- Set up and operate drill presses to drill and tap holes in parts for assembly.
- Work with minimal supervision in an efficient, effective manner.
- Possess a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Be proficient in basic computer skills
- Possess strong math skills for calculating ratios, weights, metric system.
- Demonstrate a mechanical aptitude.
- Have great communication skills and bring forth a winning attitude!
What You're Seeking:
- A place where you can be challenged and contribute to our goal of continued customer satisfaction. An opportunity to put your stamp on things. A company who shows appreciation for team members with competitive salaries, paid holidays, PTO, great benefits, employer-paid life insurance, employer-paid long/short term disability, 401k match and more!
- Variety, excitement, exposure, and collaboration with great people.
If this sounds exciting to you and reflects your experience and capabilities, we invite you to formally apply for consideration.
CG Automation & Fixture, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer