Education & Experience Requirements:
The City of Lansing reserves the right to utilize equivalencies where deemed appropriate with regard to education and experience requirements.
• High School Diploma or GED; AND
• Four (4) years of experience in repairing Medium/Heavy duty (diesel) trucks, equipment and passenger vehicles; AND
• Two (2) years of experience in welding/fabrication.
• A combination of training and work experience may be considered.
• ASE Master Medium/Heavy Certification, highly preferred.
• Two (2) year certification in heavy trucks, preferred.
Special Requirements & Training:
Failure to obtain or maintain job required qualifications will result in appropriate action consistent with the provision of the Appropriate Collective Bargaining Agreement or Personnel Rules.
• Applicants for this position must possess a Michigan Motorcycle Operators Endorsement or obtain this endorsement within ninety (90) days of hire.
• Applicants for this position must possess and maintain a valid Michigan CDL License, Group B, with Air Brakes and N Endorsement or obtain this license and endorsement within ninety (90) days of hire.
• Must participate in MDOT Drug & Alcohol program.
• Must participate in a Hepatitis B inoculation program at the City's expense.
• Must complete Industrial Truck Training and Certification.
• Must complete Blood Borne Pathogens Training.
• May require overtime or shift work for snow and ice control operations and other emergencies and/or other work assignments.
• May require shift changes.
• Must participate in LEIN/Law Enforcement Information Network (Fingerprinting) background check.
***Refer to Job Posting on the Career page for information about Fleet Services Mechanic Certification
Program (annual stipend).