PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of the maintenance manager, the controls engineer works independently and confers regularly with division and corporate employees, contractors, customers, and suppliers. The controls engineer will provide support, leadership and direction to the engineering team in the development of standards and specifications as it pertains to new equipment and to increase uptime, throughput, efficiency and quality, through the process of maintaining, designing, developing and continuously improving our equipment.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITIONS:
- Perform continuous improvement activities to improve safety, increase productivity and reduce production cost, by development and improvement of electrical control systems.
- Ensure up to date backups for PLCs, HMIs, Robots and any other digital controller in the plant
- Assist in electrical documentation of control systems and power distribution
- Assist in product selection as it pertains to controls design
- Maintain awareness of existing and emerging technologies in PLC, Robots, instrumentation, and computer systems
- Provide training and guidance to maintenance personnel related to control systems
- Consider safety as top priority in design and implementation of any control system
- Assist the maintenance department in the troubleshooting and repair of electrical problems as required.
- Work with maintenance to develop PM strategies and identify areas of improvement
- Update electrical schematics ensuring that all electrical codes are adhered to
- Participation in pre-design reviews for new machinery
- Direct contractors and employees to implement control systems following the plant specifications
- Always adhere to all safety rules
- Report any unsafe or unhealthy conditions immediately.
- Ensure that area of responsibility is clean, tidy and organized
- Attend training as required or as assigned
- Know the operating instructions for all equipment where you are assigned. Know the pre start-up inspection process, hazards, protective measures, personal protective equipment (PPE) requirements, start & stop procedures, and equipment limitations
- Be knowledgeable of any chemicals that you work with or that are in your working environment.
- Wear required PPE such as safety glasses, hearing protection, safety shoes, gloves, aprons, respirators and head protection as required.
- Other duties as required.
- Able to configure and program of Allen Bradley PLCs and HMIs
- Able to set-up and debug network protocols, such as Ethernet/IP, ProfiNet, etc.
- Able to read electrical schematics
- Able to work effectively within a team environment
- Able to select electrical and controls hardware and software components
- Able to manage multiple projects, and prioritize tasks
- Has excellent communication skills, both oral and in written.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Responds to request for service in timely manner
- Has a high level of analytical and creative problem-solving skills
The controls engineer works in a manufacturing plant environment and will be exposed to some elements such as temperature and noise. Must be flexible in hours of work in order to meet internal/external customer requirements (scheduled and non-scheduled overtime shifts, etc.). Ability to travel internationally and to work overtime may be required to meet customer expectations.
EQUIPMENT / TOOLS USED:
- Equipment: Laptop PC, telephone, photocopier, etc.
- Software: Windows, Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel), AutoCAD Electrical, PLC/Robot Software
- Familiar with RSLogix5000, RSLinx, RSNetworx, and FactoryTalk View
- Knowledge of efficiency tracking, root cause analysis, and KPIs
- Knowledge of electrical code (NEC and NFPA)
- Competent with AutoCAD Electrical
- Preferred - Licensed Industrial Electrician with apprenticeship
- Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience
- Minimum 7 years experience in automotive and manufacturing environment
- Experience with Fanuc robots, and able to troubleshoot code & touch-up points
- Experience applying machine safety requirements (ISO 12100 & 13849)
AREAS OF TRAINING REQUIRED:
New Hire training, Employee Charter training, Safety Training
TEAM MEMBER’S JOB PROGRESS BE MONITORED FOR COMPETENCY BY:
Performance Assessment conducted by Supervisor and/or Department Manager.
POSITION RELEVANCE TO ACHIEVING QUALITY OBJECTIVES:
The applications created help provide accurate data that assists in monitoring the implementation of systems/goals.
OTHER PERTINANT OR RELEVANT INFORMATION:
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
At Magna, we believe that a diverse workforce is critical to our success. That’s why we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We hire on the basis of experience and qualifications, and in consideration of job requirements, regardless of, in particular, color, ancestry, religion, gender, origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or gender identity. Magna takes the privacy of your personal information seriously. We discourage you from sending applications via email to comply with GDPR requirements and your local Data Privacy Law.