Metro Health now the University of Michigan Health-West is looking for Medical Secretary.
- Cardiovascular Physician Practice * Days - 40 hrs/wk (SIGN-ON BONUS ELIGIBLE)
Create a welcoming atmosphere for patients coming to visit to the cardiovascular department. Accurately update and enter data to the computer system to allow for services and billing.
- Knowledge of Medical practice protocols related to the check out process
- Knowledge of manual/computerized check out process and system
- Knowledge of customer service principles and techniques
- Complies with the organization mission, values, policies and procedure while performing duties
- Displays courteous confidential and tactful behavior when communicating with patients, families or other health team members
- Communicating effectively with physicians/clinicians about patient appointments
- Accurate in data entry
- Customer service skills
- Ability of multitask effectively, dealing with customers, office patients, staff and others pleasantly
- Ability to communicate calmly and clearly with patients about appointments in all circumstances including when they are ill or have an emergency
- Ability to analyze situations and respond appropriately
- High school diploma or equivalent.
Essential Functions and Responsbilities:
- Within Epic, conduct patient registration, collection of copays, and check-out duties with a high level of customer service, accuracy, and speed. Schedule consult or follow-up appointments, testing and/or procedures as requested by providers. Provide patient education regarding testing and procedure instructions.
- Promptly answer incoming phone calls, create telephone encounters and direct urgent patient needs to nursing staff.
- Follow department policies for patient registration, insurance verification, and obtaining prior insurance authorizations as needed. Maintain HIPAA requirements at all times.
- Maintain daily in-baskets and work queue tasks.
- Maintain physician recall list and rescheduling reports.
- Schedule internal and external referrals. Effectively communicate with referring provider offices.
- Print daily schedules and verify medical records for upcoming patient appointments. Requests medical records as needed.
- Scan pertinent patient information, testing reports, and labs to patient chart.
- Distribute mail and faxes.
- Other duties as assigned with reliable and predictable attendance.