Assists in the examination and treatment of patients by tracking patient information, documenting the medical record, assisting with in-office procedures and testing, administering medications and providing patient and caregiver education. Duties are performed under the oversight and direction of professional clinical staff and providers as outlined in the Clinical Support Staff Scope of Practice document.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Greets and courteously escorts patient and other guests to examination room.
- Determines and documents reason for the visit; utilizes critical thinking skills within the scope of the role to assess if patient information requires higher level follow up.
- Performs initial response screening following protocols approved by supervising healthcare provider (i.e., physician, nurse practitioner, physician assistant, nurse midwife); obtains information from patient to complete appropriate EMR template(s) to update patient history.
- Obtains patient vital signs and accurately documents information in patient EMR file; including vital signs, such as pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, height and weight; calculates and documents BMI.
- Directly enters medication, laboratory and radiology orders into the electronic medical record per state, local and professional guidelines.
- Performs diagnostic tests as directed by healthcare provider. May operate equipment to administer routine diagnostic tests.
- Credentialed MAs will perform TB testing.
- Tracks and informs patient of laboratory/diagnostic test results as directed by provider and according to IHA/office protocols; communicates with patient regarding provider instructions based on test results received.
- Administers prescribed medications and facilitates prescription renewals as directed by healthcare provider.
- Performs general specimen collection duties (including blood, urine, throat swabs, etc.) and/or assists with other office procedures/surgeries as required; during the performance of these duties adheres to all IHA specified policies, procedures and safety precautions.
- Participates in disease management programs under supervision of Care Manager and/or Nurse Manager.
- Actively works to improve practice performance on Quality incentives including but not limited to Provider Dashboard, PCMH, and Health Plan incentives such as BCN Physician Recognition Program, BCBSM Clinical Quality and Priority Health Physician Improvement Plan.
- Provides patient/family education as directed by healthcare provider.
- Takes and relays accurate, comprehensive, dated and signed messages in a timely manner.
- Serves as liaison between patient and healthcare provider when necessary. Ensures timely and courteous follow-up regarding patient questions.
- Attends required meetings and participates in committees as requested.
- Supports other offices, attends meetings and training as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned and works within the scope of MA certification
EDUCATION: High School Diploma or GED. Successful completion of accredited/approved MA program and MA Externship, Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) program, Paramedic program or Certified Athletic Trainer. If credentialed, maintains current MA Re-Certification CEUs.
MA-Non-Credentialed I: MA eligible to attain Medical Assistant Certification is desired, or EMT with current/active license in the State of Michigan, or Paramedic following successful completion of the National Registry Paramedic Exam and/or holds a current/active license in the State of Michigan. Valid CPR certification.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE: 0-1 year previous clinical experience or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.