To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or .
Job Description Summary
The Department of Biological Sciences at Michigan Technological University invites applications for the position of chair. We seek an established and proven scholar, mentor, and leader committed to stewarding the continued growth of our department. Successful applicants will promote collaborative and innovative research, commit to enriching undergraduate and graduate student education, invest in mentoring the advancement of faculty, staff, and students, and foster professional and community partnerships. We seek an applicant who demonstrates high achievement in teaching, research, service, and management, the guidance of the professional development of their mentees, the development and/or evaluation of curricula, and a demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in higher education.
Michigan Tech attracts world-class faculty and staff who enrich the educational experience of smart, motivated, and adventurous students. Applicants who are committed to promoting a sense of belonging and contributing to an equitable and inclusive learning environment for all are strongly encouraged to apply ().
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
* Provide leadership in achieving excellence in research, teaching, and service
* Guide advancement of strategic plans of the Department, the College of Sciences and Arts, and the University
* Support and encourage effective communication among diverse stakeholders, including students, faculty, and staff
* Promote efforts to continuously increase externally funded research
* Actively engage in fundraising activities and alumni outreach
* Supervise department faculty and staff, provide mentorship of faculty and staff towards achieving all levels of career advancement, conduct performance reviews of tenured and teaching faculty, and make recommendations on reappointment, tenure, and promotion cases.
Education and Research Program Focus:
* Increase student enrollment through strategic marketing and outreach efforts
* Provide guidance on student career development
* Enhance the research environment, collaborations, and visibility
* Oversee the review and assessment of academic programs within the Department of Biological Sciences
* Develop infrastructure, including guiding department renovations
* Manage a diverse teaching and learning community
* Participate in mentoring, including a focus on professional development opportunities for students, faculty, and staff
* Foster shared governance and transparency in departmental operations
* Foster a culture of safety in compliance with regulations through actions, communications, and training
* Manage the Department's financial responsibilities and strategies to achieve short- and long-term departmental goals
Required Education, Certifications, Licensures (minimum requirements)
Ph.D. in Biological Sciences or closely related discipline
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
* Experience sufficient for the rank of full professor at Michigan Tech
* Demonstrable experience in:
o Mentoring students
o Organizational management
o Obtaining, managing, and leading externally funded research projects
o Leadership in internal and external academic service capacities
Desirable Education and/or Experience
* Experience leading and implementing departmental or other strategic planning initiatives
* Active research that overlaps with one of the existing departmental areas of research focus, including Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, and Human Health
* National or international service experience
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
* Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff
* Demonstrated commitment to contribute to a safe work environment
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
* Academic teaching experience at multiple levels and using multiple pedagogical methods.
* Obtaining funding for collaborative research projects
* Demonstrated success in, or potential future contributions to, working with persons from diverse backgrounds, creating a sense of belonging, and fostering a fair, objective, welcoming place to work for persons with a wide variety of personal characteristics and viewpoints.
Language, Mathematics and/or Reasoning Skills
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
The work environment is that of a typical office and/or classroom setting. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
Annual Title IX Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check... For full info follow application link.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.