CN is home to opportunities for skilled tradespeople who are interested in continually learning and building a career in a safety-focused, team environment. Working on state-of-the-art locomotives and cars that carry freight from coast-to-coast-to-coast, you'll feel proud knowing you're a part of what makes the economy work. And with paid training, you'll be able to evolve your skills. At CN, the careers we offer are meaningful because the work we do matters. Join us!
The Signals and Communication (S&C) Technician is responsible for installing, maintaining, testing, replacing, and repairing railway signals and communications equipment. The incumbent troubleshoots to analyze, isolate, and resolve any malfunctions.
· Use digital and analog multi-meters, oscilloscopes, and common electronic test instrument for the installation, maintenance, and diagnosis of equipment problems and failures
· Use of common hand and battery operated tools
· Troubleshoot Signals and Communications (S&C) equipment to circuit board level
· Facilitate repair and return defective circuit cards and components through equipment vendors
· Use computers for diagnostics in troubleshooting electronic equipment, software burning, software uploading and downloading, downloading event logs, and other functions
· Test, inspect, and make necessary equipment repairs as per S&C and industry standard
· Handle and document applicable CN tests and inspection reports
· Provide field and technical support as required in managed corporate data networks and in other S&C maintenance territories
· Acquire, apply, and comply with Railway Operating Rules, Safety Rules and Policies, S&C requirements and code of practices
· Become familiar with S&C circuit drawings and standards
· Must be able to work in a combination of office and outdoor environment in various types of weather conditions
· Must be available to work night shifts and weekends when necessary
· Must be available on-call 24/7 to respond to critical incidences
· Must be available to travel, which may include overnight stay in remote and/or isolated areas
· Must meet all medical fitness in order to work at heights on ladders and around heavy moving equipment
· Ability to perform moderate to heavy physical labour, including long-distance driving, lift, carry, push, and pull at least 50 pounds
· Must be able to bend, stoop, and stand as well as climb vertical ladders, stairs, ramps, board and alight track equipment
· Must be able to walk on uneven surfaces such as rocks for extended periods of time and for long distances, reach above shoulders, sit occasionally for long periods, occasional scaffolding and exposures to dust, fumes, and gasses (with proper PPE)
· Must be able to meet tight deadlines, handle pressure and stress
· Previous railroad experience*
· Experience in performing labor in an outdoor work environment
· Technician or Technologist Diploma in Communications or Electronics from a recognized technical college
· Must have a valid Driver's License
· Applies critical thinking
· Communicates with impact
· Solves problems to create value
· Identifies potential safety and security risks
· Considers ESG principles in all operations
· Collaborates with others and shares information
· Demonstrates agility and drives change
· Fluent in English, written and verbal
· Ability to follow instructions and regulations
· Must be able to complete a pre-employment medical that includes a physical, vision, hearing, alcohol, and drug audit assessment
· Must successfully complete criminal history check, reference check, education and Driver's License verification
*Any experience/education/skills/knowledge for these above would be considered as an asset
The incumbent would need to attend and pass (80% or higher) all of the Communications Tech Training classes.
This position is a unionized position. As such, pay and benefits are governed by the applicable collective agreement
CN is a world-class transportation leader and trade-enabler. Essential to the economy, to the customers, and to the communities it serves, CN safely transports more than 300 million tons of natural resources, manufactured products, and finished goods throughout North America every year. As the only railroad connecting Canada's Eastern and Western coasts with the Southern tip of the U.S. through a 19,500 mile rail network, CN and its affiliates have been contributing to community prosperity and sustainable trade since 1919. CN is committed to programs supporting social responsibility and environmental stewardship. At CN, we work as ONE TEAM, focused on safety, sustainability and our customers, providing operational and supply chain excellence to deliver results.
CN is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to fill vacant positions with qualified candidates without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, or disability, assuming an individual can perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation. Only qualified candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.