Michigan State University (MSU) invites applications and nominations for an educator and scholar with the vision to serve as Chairperson of the Department of Biomedical Engineering, with an anticipated start date of August 16, 2024.
Outstanding candidates with interests and a demonstrated background in biomedical engineering are encouraged to apply. Candidates must be qualified for the appointment at the rank of Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering and have a strong track record in publications and attracting research funding from external sources. Evidence of scientific and organizational leadership, educational innovation, outstanding communication abilities, and a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) initiatives are essential. A demonstrated track record of excellence in administrative effectiveness is preferred.
The Department of Biomedical Engineering (BME) at Michigan State University was founded in 2016 and is poised for significant and sustained growth and expansion. BME consists of 19 core faculty and 22 adjunct faculty with a wide range of interdisciplinary interests including bioinformatics, stem cell engineering, nano-robotics, neural engineering, and molecular imaging. BME faculty are funded by numerous external awards from a variety of sources, including several NIH R01 awards and three NSF CAREER awards. Approximately 40 PhD students are currently enrolled in the BME graduate program, and our faculty actively engage undergraduate students from a variety of degree programs in their research, teaching, and outreach activities. The development of an undergraduate BME degree program is one of many potential future growth areas for the department.
The BME Chair will be expected to:
- oversee Department operations, personnel, and resources;
- actively work to identify and pursue innovations in research, education, and service;
- lead the Department in strategic planning and the development of the departmental vision for academic leadership and excellence;
- work substantively with other chairs in the College and all units in the Dean’s office as a part of the College management team in setting the stage for growth of the College;
- represent the Department to the academic community, industry, and government;
- promote diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging within the department and the institution.
The BME department is located in a new 130,000-square-foot facility outfitted with state-of-the-art research tools and infrastructure. Our department is closely aligned with MSU’s new Institute for Quantitative Health Science and Engineering (https://iq.msu.edu/). Research and training opportunities are available through multiple new initiatives including investment in novel imaging systems, new partnerships with healthcare organizations (McLaren Health, Corewell Health, and Henry Ford Health), and the MSU Facility for Rare Isotope Beams (FRIB).
MSU is an R1 University and enjoys a park-like campus with some outlying research facilities and natural areas. The campus is in the city of East Lansing, adjacent to the capital city of Lansing. The Lansing metropolitan area has a diverse population of approximately 541,000. Local communities have excellent school systems and place a high value on education. Michigan State University is proactive in exploring opportunities for employment for dual-career couples, both inside and outside the University. Information about MSU’s dual-career support can be found at https://worklife.msu.edu/dual-career. Information about WorkLife at MSU and the College of Engineering can be found at https://worklife.msu.edu/ and https://www.egr.msu.edu/about/resources/faculty-staff/worklife-at-engineering
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Doctorate -Biomedical Engineering or closely related field
Candidates must have an earned PhD in Biomedical Engineering or a related field; be qualified for the appointment at the rank of Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering; and have a strong track record in publications and attracting research funding from external sources. Evidence of scientific and organizational leadership, educational innovation, outstanding communication abilities, and a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) initiatives are essential.
A demonstrated track record of excellence in administrative effectiveness is preferred.
Required Application Materials
- a detailed curriculum vitae with full publication, funding records, and list of mentees,
- a cover letter summarizing qualifications and leadership approach, including leadership roles and accomplishments, and budgetary and administrative experience,
- a statement highlighting past research accomplishments and future vision for the research and educational missions of the department,
- a teaching statement describing the applicant’s experience in instruction and mentoring of students and faculty,
- a statement discussing the applicant’s philosophy toward promoting diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging as it applies to their research, teaching and mentoring, and
- names and contact information of five references.
For full consideration, applications should be received before December 15, 2023. Applications will be reviewed on a continuing basis until the position is filled. Nominations or questions are welcome by contacting the search committee chair through email at BME_ChairSearch@egr.msu.edu
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.