Department: University Marketing and Communications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you require any auxiliary aids, services, or other accommodations to apply for employment, or for an interview, at Michigan Technological University, please notify the Human Resources office at 906-487-2280 or .
Job Description Summary
We are seeking a talented Art Director to join our team. The perfect candidate will have more than five years of experience at a creative agency, non-profit, or university environment. Candidates must be able to demonstrate their experience with directing high-level design aesthetic, videography, and photography.
The candidate must also possess strategic and innovative thinking skills and the ability to develop and maintain schedules for production work to be delivered on time and in alignment with the project's goals. This person must be a creative storyteller and brand champion-through all forms of media (print, web, video, photography).
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
* Manage concept, design, and execution of the brand creative for print, digital, video, and photography
* Maintain and establish high creative standards that align with the University's brand standards
* Work collaboratively with UMC AVP to ensure consistency of the visual identity of the MTU brand
* Generate ideas that bring the MTU brand to life
* Inspire, motivate, and manage creative professionals-designer, videographer, and photographer-to take their work to the next level
* Oversee designers, videographer, and photographer by providing direction and support for all projects, ensuring that project goals and deadlines are met, as well as supervising staff related to professional development, performance reviews, and workplace dynamics
* Supervise all pre- and post-production design work; manage tight deadlines
* Manage student interns as it relates to scheduling of their work hours, pay, and projects.
* Manage the studio and design budgets
* Serve as art director, and co-lead for the production for the Michigan Tech Magazine
* Assist in the concept and execution of creative content for social media
* Work with PR team to create visually compelling news and research assets
* Work with Executive Director of Marketing to ensure visuals for the brand align with the MTU brand message
* Manage time effectively and with, sometimes, little direction to help projects stay on budget and on time
* Create and present design concepts
* Stay current with the latest emerging design and technology trends to find ways to help move work for clients and brands forward
* Effectively sell ideas both internally and with clients
Required Education, Certifications, Licensures (minimum requirements)
* Bachelor's degree in graphic design, marketing, communications, business, or a
related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from
which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
* Minimum of five years of experience as a creative at an agency, non-profit, or university environment.
* Experience with graphic design, writing, video production, and project management.
* Proven track record of leading creative projects from idea to implementation.
* Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of a wide range of marketing strategies.
* Experience using computers and basic software packages.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
* More than five years of experience as a creative at an agency, non-profit, or university environment.
* Experience as a creative lead in an agency, non-profit, or university environment
* Experience managing a creative team.
* Experience managing a large brand
* Familiarity with designing for web
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
* Excellent written/oral communication and interpersonal skills.
* Demonstrated project management, time management, and organizational skills.
* Proven competence in managing multiple tasks and competing priorities.
* Demonstrated ability to provide attention to detail.
* Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively across cultural boundaries and work harmoniously with diverse groups of students, faculty, and staff.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
Annual Title IX Training
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Other Conditions of Employment:
The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. Visa sponsorship is unavailable at this time. This is not an E-Verified Position.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and... For full info follow application link.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.