Accelerator Operations Staff Engineer
Michigan State University operates FRIB as a user facility for the U.S. Department of Energy Office of Science (DOE-SC), supporting the mission of the DOE-SC Office of Nuclear Physics.
As one of 28 DOE-SC user facilities, FRIB provides researchers with one of the most advanced tools of modern science to study rare isotopes, or short-lived nuclei not normally found on Earth. FRIB hosts what is designed to be the most powerful heavy-ion accelerator, enabling scientists to make discoveries about the properties of rare isotopes, nuclear astrophysics, fundamental interactions, and applications for society, including in medicine, homeland security, and industry.
User facility operation is supported by the DOE-SC Office of Nuclear Physics. MSU’s nuclear physics graduate program is a top-ranked program nationally, according to U.S. News & World Report.
This position affords an exciting opportunity to become part of the world-class FRIB Laboratory that enables unique discovery opportunities in nuclear science.
Major Position Responsibilities
- Develop, maintain, and oversee implementation of Accelerator Operations quality system
- to track performance of systems contributing to the accelerator and fragment separator,
- to develop and communicate investment strategy to increase accelerator performance and availability.
- Represent Accelerator Operations Department to system-providing technical departments
- to assure overall operability and availability of accelerator and fragment separator,
- to provide direction on Accelerations Operations schedule and investment priorities and assure alignment.
- Lead learning and continuous improvement efforts, based on performance metrics.
- Interface with systems engineering to ensure an accurate representation of the accelerator and fragment separator configuration in the FRIB configuration management system
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Masters -Engineering or related field
- Advanced degree in engineering, or related field
- 10+years of progressively more responsible experience in engineering, operation, operations management of complex facilities
- Experience in organizations subject to external regulatory compliance, safety, or quality framework
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter
- Contact information for three references
Questions regarding the position can be directed to Sarah Powell (email@example.com).
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.