Assistant Professor Spanish, Tenure Track
Assistant Professor Spanish, Tenure Track
Job ID 1617
December 20, 2023
Department: Language and Thought
Employee Group: Faculty Association
Start Date: Fall 2024
Schedule: 32 Weeks (Fall and Winter Semesters)
Compensation: Consistent with https://www.grcc.edu/sites/default/files/docs/humanresources/2022-2025%20Faculty%20Association%20contract.docx.pdf (Page #109)
Reports to: Associate Dean, School of Liberal Arts
Posting Closes: January 26, 2024
GRCC is seeking faculty who possess an interest in working with diverse student populations from a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin and ability; engage in and develop innovative teaching strategies; effectively assess student learning outcomes; demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning and professional development and provide service to our students, the college, and our community at large.
Faculty members are responsible to GRCC and to each other for the successful completion of departmental work, as well as associated with the School of Liberal Arts and GRCC as a whole. In addition to the major position responsibility, teaching, it is expected that faculty demonstrate outstanding communication skills, collaborate effectively, use personal initiative to overcome obstacles and work efficiently to meet deadlines. In an environment where innovation is valued, each faculty member will take responsibility to perform their work in a manner consistent with both the letter and the spirit of GRCC values.
• Teach GRCC course offerings in Spanish: Spanish 101, 102, 231, and 232.
• The primary focus for Community College Faculty is teaching. Faculty are required to teach 15 credit hours per semester. This would be four Spanish courses per semester. Spanish courses are capped at 27 students per course. Courses run for two hours, twice a week or four hours once a week.
• Develop and implement teaching methods that employ interactive learning and integrate current instructional technology.
• Provide leadership and mentoring for adjunct Spanish faculty as needed or requested by the department.
• Participate fully as a member of the Language and Thought Department in activities such as department meetings, curriculum development, assessment, evaluation and revision of existing courses, student advising, committee membership, textbook selection, community outreach, and other duties as determined by the college.
• Engage in professional development activities and maintain expertise in the field of Spanish.
• Complete yearly Faculty Performance Evaluations and meet all responsibilities of the Faculty Evaluation System as detailed in the Faculty Contract.
• Education Credentials Master's Degree in Spanish or a Master's degree in a closely related field and 18 graduate credit hours in Spanish required.
• A minimum of two years full-time teaching experience in Spanish at the community college, college, or university level teaching the first four semesters of Spanish preferred; the equivalent graduate level, part time, or adjunct teaching time will be considered.
• Experience working with traditional and non-traditional students from diverse backgrounds with varying academic skills preferred.
• Appropriate technology required to perform the duties of the position.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time.
• Demonstrated initiative and organizational and problem-solving abilities.
• Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision.
• High energy level with enthusiasm and interest in helping and supporting students, staff and the general public.
• Ability to work under pressure while possessing sound judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a professional manner.
• GRCC will comply with any mandated health and safety requirements. Compliance information is available on our http://www.grcc.edu/policies.
• Physical classroom environment in an academic setting.
• Physical office environment in an academic setting.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
GRCC is only accepting online applications for this position athttps://www.grcc.edu/jobs. Submit a cover letter resume, and unofficial transcripts for full consideration. The opportunity to apply for this position will close at the end of the day on the close date referenced at the top of this job posting. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an equal opportunity employer. Visa sponsorship is not available.
GRCC uses an Evidence Based Selection Process, where we make data driven hiring decisions to help mitigate bias throughout the hiring process. As part of this process, candidates will participate in reference checks and interviews.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.
To apply, please visit: https://apptrkr.com/4963316
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.