GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Endocrinology Scheduler is responsible for supporting the needs of the endocrinology department, receiving and directing phone call encounters, scheduling visits, recording insurance and demographic data, scheduling, and coordinating the activities necessary to achieve and maintain quality and efficiency within the endocrinology department. This individual provides both administrative assistant and clinical support to the endocrinology department. All duties are based on clinical operation needs as directed by the Operations Manager.
- Schedule appointments for the clinic, using protocol established within the Endocrinology department.
- Manage scheduling for infusions
- Conduct “reminder calls” to ensure patients arrive for appointments and are on time.
- Call patients to reschedule if they no-show for an appointment.
- Answer multiple incoming phone calls and open electronic phone encounters
- Register basic patient demographics using protocol established with the department
- Effectively monitor and manage care teams, ensuring appropriate follow-up
- Change appointments for patients and communicate with other health professionals about changes to preparation.
- Work in emergency appointments and resolve scheduling conflicts.
- Record Maintenance and Quality Control
- Records shall be maintained in a manner that is accurate, current, and secure
- Outside documents via referral of an endocrinology patient will be scanned and filed in patient’s EMR
- Public Service, Problem Solving and Legal Compliance. Employee will ensure that:
- Phone calls should be triaged to appropriate parties and/or information gathered in response to requests from patients, insurance companies, other physician offices and the like
- Patient release forms for incoming and outgoing records (as per legal guidelines ROI) are completed
- Maintain that patient confidentiality be the utmost importance
- Manage Durable Medical Equipment faxing
- Create letters and memos (concerning normal operations of the department). Engage in telephone correspondence and delivery of telephone and voice mail messages.
- Perform clerical work: word processing, copying, typing, filing and record keeping.
- Engage in routine decision making and consult with others as appropriate.
- Open and distribute mail.
- May serve as a liaison between their department and others in the corporation.
- Perform work on a personal computer of an advanced nature (i.e., beyond basic word processing); database data entry, spreadsheets, and online calendars varying in nature and scope relative to department needs.
- May be assigned regular or ad-hoc projects to meet the needs of the Endocrinology department.
- Ensures delivery of excellent customer service.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Clinic environment, requiring delivery of patient care (physical dexterity), application of bio-hazard material handling, minimal lifting (not greater than 20 pounds), extensive computer usage (eye strain). Prolonged sitting, word processing, and telephone operations. Distracting, active office environment.
- Education: Minimum of high school diploma
- Aptitude: Understanding and appreciation of the medical education/academic process with an intrinsic desire to support said process through direct educational involvement and support.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills that encourage harmonious working relationships with individuals in the health and educational settings.
- Attention to detail
- Endocrinology background preferred
- Proficient in the use of computers and scheduling software or ability to learn applicable software.
- Clerical and office support work coupled with keyboarding, and computer proficiency
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills with multicultural sensitivity.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
CMU is an AA/EO institution, providing equal opportunity to all persons, including minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.