Under direction of the City Engineer, manages and supervises activities within Engineering and Traffic Maintenance Sections of the Right of Way Division. Specific areas of responsibility include engineering, traffic operations and maintenance, street lighting and radio system maintenance. Initiates or assists others with development of needed public works projects; supervises all aspects of construction project implementation; and augments the City Engineer in day-to-day operations of the Right of Way (ROW) Division.
This position oversees operations and the execution of activities of the Engineering and Traffic Maintenance Sections of the ROW Division.
Applications will be screened. Those qualified will be invited to participate in an oral interview. Candidates must successfully pass by 70% or better in order to proceed in the process.
- Acts as Design Engineer and Project Manager for City Public Improvement Projects, including roads, bridges, traffic control systems, sidewalks, sanitary sewers, storm sewers, water main and street lighting.
- Assists the City Engineer with management and operation of City roads, bridges, traffic control systems, sidewalks and utility placement.
- Manages activities within the Traffic Maintenance and Engineering Sections to include preparation of construction plans and specifications, records and maps, inspection and construction management, land surveying, traffic management and other special projects.
- Directly supervises employees within Traffic Maintenance and Engineering Sections to include scheduling, work assignments, performance evaluations, and discipline.
- Manages and oversees work products of consulting engineers and architects.
- Interprets complex technical engineering design/plan information for citizens and City officials.
- Oversees major activities related to traffic maintenance and operations.
- Investigates citizen complaints relating to public works activities.
- Reviews and implements current legislation for the City as it relates to Engineering activities.
- Administers records of City utilities, maps, and bridge inspections.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering; Civil Engineering preferred.
- Possession of a registered Professional Engineer (P.E.) license as required by the State of Michigan, or ability to obtain within two years of hire.
- Minimum two to three years progressive design experience as an engineer and/or project engineer within a municipality, county, state, or other governmental agencies or engineering consulting firm involved with city/county engineering projects including design experience on major civil works projects (roads, bridges, wastewater and water system and plants).
- Must possess and maintain a valid Michigan driver’s license.